Someone must have got new gear for Christmas ???

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Re: Someone must have got new gear for Christmas ???

Post by mike a feist »

Why? Because the weather is very cloudy. Maybe !
If not I often suggest that buying a telescope for someone that you know is interested in the subject is surely best avoided as the chances of getting '"something suitable or what they really want" is problematic. Of course you could buy yourself a winter solstice gift! However I am foresworn not to buy another instrument! Regards maf.

brian livesey

Re: Someone must have got new gear for Christmas ???

Post by brian livesey »

To add to the collection, I bought a secondhand HELIOS 150mm/f.5 Newtonian on a sturdy equatorial mount last week for £100. The optics are good, but I might replace the flat with a smaller one.
I might replace the mirror cell too, by making my own with three strong expansion springs, not the tiny, fiddly, opposing screws. I always find a sprung cell to be easier to adjust and hold position.
brian