Perseids

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

nigeljoslin

Perseids

Post by nigeljoslin »

Nipped into the garden last night, when I woke at 3.30. I was only out for about 15 minutes but I was lucky enough to see several impressive meteors of the Perseid shower.

This meteor shower should be peaking for the next couple of nights, as well. The bad news? Best after midnight....yawn!

The peak period lasts for about five hours. It is not unusual to see more than one meteor at once, each one spurting in a different direction. This shower also tends to yield some large meteoric flares and fragmentation.

Good luck!

Nigel
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
Alastair McBeath

Re: Perseids

Post by Alastair McBeath »

Here in NE England, I managed to get out for about 3½ hours last night (August 11-12) starting just before 22:30 UT. The sky was generally clear, with an irritating amount of thin cloud that passed through for about half an hour after 01:10 UT only. There was always enough clearer sky to let me keep observing, thankfully. The transparency was good, with a limiting magnitude of +6.1, and overall I spotted just over 90 meteors, 60 of them Perseids. Brightest was a magnitude -4 event at 01:09 UT, dropping down towards the west through Cygnus and Delphinus, which left a four-second persistent train. Persistent train of the night though lasted twelve seconds, left after a lovely mag -3, blue-white Perseid shot out a little "left" of the radiant at 00:14. Lots of satellites about too, including three Iridium flares, the brightest one peaking at about mag -7/-9 or so - dazzlingly bright, certainly. Hopefully still better rates of Perseids to come tonight, if the sky holds clear!

For anyone clouded-out, and those wishing to see how the shower's developing generally, the International Meteor Organization's "live" Perseids results page is up and running now, at:

http://www.imo.net/live/perseids2015/ .
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Wednesday 12th August; 2145-2230 BST: Saw two good bright Perseids, both with persistent trains, one from the window and one from the garden, plus a couple of fainter ones and one non-Perseid. Initially not quite dark, then murky low down, especially in the south-east and finally bands of thin cloud spreading across. Unpleasant wind and gave up. Next morning, Thursday 13th August, 0300-0500 BST, persistent lightning and rain. regards maf
nigeljoslin

Post by nigeljoslin »

Went out again last night, this time for a more serious session, dedicating a full hour (1.25 to 2.25) to observation.

The visibility was good, apart from a little mistiness near the horizon. I was able to see M31 and the Sword Handle double-cluster with the naked eye and the Milky Way was looking nice. In the time I was out, I counted 33 meteors, the most spectacular being one shooting from west to east down the `backbone' of Cygnus (a sporadic?). The debris trail from this one must have persisted for about 15 degrees of sky.

Generally, there were lots of quite faint ones with short debris trails (<5 deg), quite a few medium brightness ones of a similar nature, and ten or so impressively bright ones, probably with the minus magnitude that you mention, Alastair. They tended to come in clusters of four or five in a couple of minutes, amidst periods of nothing. I noticed that in the last 15 minutes of my session, the rate observed rose to 48/hr, plus, presumably, those I missed!

A very satisfying hour, plus a nice observing season start up! :D
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
Tony Markham

Post by Tony Markham »

Cloud got in the way at times on Perseid maximum night, but 2015 has provided my best spell of Perseid weather for many years:

Aug 10-11. 2144-0044UT (3 hours), LM 5.1-5.4. Clear sky
20 Perseids, 1 Delta Aquarid-S and 9 sporadics seen.
Best meteor was a mag -2 Perseid at 23:18 UT, which travelled from Perseus to Cassiopeia, was red & yellow in colour and left a train two parts of which persisted for 6 seconds.

Aug 11-12. 2140-0140UT (4 hours), LM 5.1-5.4. Clear sky until last 10 mins.
30 Perseids, 2 Delta Aquarids (1N, 1S) and 16 sporadics seen.
Best meteor was a mag -4 Perseid in Cassiopeia at 00:35 UT. This was yellow & red in colour and left a train which persisted for 25 seconds, splitting in two along its path and very visibly distorting as it faded.

Aug 12-13. Five sessions between 2123UT and 0210UT, totalling 2h29m. LM 5.1-5.3. Average clouded during watches was 10%.
60 Perseids, 1 Delta Aquarid-N and 6 sporadics seen.
Best was a mag -4 Perseid in Cassiopeia at 23:21 UT. This was yellow-green in colour and left a train which persisted for 30 seconds, but which didn't distort as much as the one on the previous night.

Over the 3 nights, approx a third of Perseids left persistent trains.
Gregger

Post by Gregger »

12 Perseid for me from near Derby around 23:00 from the hot tub
All of them photo shy
Helios Quantum 100mm bino's, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Canon 15x50IS bino's
Alastair McBeath

Post by Alastair McBeath »

Good to see more reports coming through now!

I was able to get out again last night (Aug 12-13), and although skies were a little hazy, with some mist about, all was going reasonably well until low clouds spontaneously formed all across the sky shortly after midnight UT! Vega, the last star still visible, vanished into the murk at 00:26, and with thick fog thereafter, sadly, that was it for the night. However, between 21:45 and 00:17 (2h24m sky-observing time in total), I spotted 53 Perseids out of 70 meteors, with an average sky limiting magnitude of +5.7 or so (variable at times). Ten Perseids were in the low negative magnitude range, the best of which was a blue-white, flaring, mag -6 meteor, down in the mist towards my southern horizon in Capricornus at 23:21 UT, which left a 16-second persistent train (this may have been the same fireball Tony reported in Cas, seen under more favourable conditions than mine!).

As Tony mentioned, a good proportion of the Perseids I saw too left persistent trains, about 40% of them on Aug 12-13 and 35% on Aug 11-12. The "clustering" effect Nigel mentioned, apparent for me as well last night especially, seems to be largely due to spells with more fainter Perseids about than others - ones too faint to be easily spotted under the sky conditions - as observed rates can be less "patchy" under very transparent skies, where it's easier to see fainter meteors generally.

Should be worth another look tonight (Aug 13-14) if skies behave themselves.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

I had a look 2015 August 12/13 at about 2300 UTC. The sky was not transparent. Limiting magnitude about 3.2 in Ursa Major. I only looked for about two minutes and saw no meteors.

Maggie Daly reports seeing 44 meteors from Lincolnshire between about 2200 and 0100 UTC. Then the clouds were advancing from the North.
These meteors were Perseids and sporadics. Some of them were bright.

Generally it has been very cloudy for me over the last month although quite warm.
Today when I went out about midday UTC it was raining steadily.

Regards, David
trynda1701

Post by trynda1701 »

Here's my observing report.

Wednesday 12th, 22:45BST to Thursday 13th, 01:15BST.

After a two and a half hours observing session, from my bedroom window only (I've got a bad chesty cough which isn't helping my asthma, and I was not going out into the night air with that), I've managed to see 10 meteors, including one in my little Heritage 130P Newtonian telescope, and one in 10x50 binoculars!

I had started trying to spot the Lagoon and Triffid nebulae, first with my 10x50s and then the Heritage 130P at x26. I've never managed to see these two objects, light summer nights or just bad luck with weather (either too hazy low down, or just clouded out), meant that I never have seen these, as they are low down for me here in the Central Belt in Scotland. I think I was getting a hint of both nebulae in the scope, but it was quite hazy that low down. I DID see the cluster M18, but not the Omega nebula to it's north. As I was scanning around, about 00:05BST, I saw a meteor in the eyepiece, so I went to naked eye observation.

Considering the limited view (south westerly straight out of the window) which would be lucky to be a sixth of the sky, the ten meteors in just over an hour is quite good. I thought I was going to be clouded out about 00:15BST, but it passed to the west. The ten meteors sighted included three REALLY bright ones, all three passing thru southern Aquila. I would say first was about 0 magnitude, the second one maybe -1, and the last of the three about -3 or brighter? Not sure about any persistent trails, as it was slightly hazy overall. The binocular meteor was when I was having a look at IC4665 and 70 Ophiuchi.

As the weather hasn't been kind to me on the last few Perseid showers, I'm considering this one a success! :D

Mark
Scopes: Celestron C8 Classic (Black-1990), Skywatcher Heritage 130P Flexitube (2014).
EPs: Plossls - 24mm, 16mm ES Maxvision 68°; 18mm, 12mm, 8mm BST Explorer 60°; Kellners - 25mm Celestron; 40mm & 9mm Japanese; MA - 25mm & 10mm Skywatcher; Skywatcher 2x Barlow.
Binos: Helios Apollo 15x70. CZJ Jenoptem 10x50W, Manfrotto 679B Monopod/DynaSun WT011H 3/8 TriggerGrip Ballhead, Vanguard PhotoTripod (T-120223AB). Olympus 8x40 DPS I. Halina Discovery 8x30 [x2].
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

I observed for about 10 minutes from around 23:00 on the 12/8/2015. Partial cloud to start with and then total cloud cover - very strong E wind at height as well.

Looking through the images I took with a 21mm f2.8 lens on a Canon 40D there were no Perseids recorded. However I got two trails of the defunct satelite NOAA 11 mag 4.6 to 5. Only useful thing is that this gave me a calibration for the sensitivity of my camera & lens combination to moving satellites.
Data Miner & Amateur Astronomer
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

16th August 2015: 0208 BST. The sky was very clear for about half-an-hour so I took the 70mm Clubman + Celestron 20mm eyepiece (= about 20x70 scope) into the garden to test it and almost immediately saw a v.bright, long, "two-tone" (i.e, part was brighter than the rest) meteor rushing though Andromeda to the bottom left star of the "Square of Pegasus". It left a train and was no-doubt a late Perseid, judging by direction, and train.
Between 0210 and 0240 BST (when it clouded-up), I had look at Uranus, now moving closer to 88 Piscium. I then scanned various Messier "false comets" including M2 & M15 (bright and obvious centres), M31 (a large fuzzy oval) and M32 (a fuzzy star), M33 (a quite large fuzzy patch but with indistinct edge), M34 (as a smaller copy of the "Praesepe"), M36, M37 and M38 (two being starry and one larger and fuzzier), and M81 and M82.
An enjoyable and satisfying half-hour. regards maf
Tony Markham

Post by Tony Markham »

Several reports relating to the Perseids have recently been added to the Section Reports pages:

Early Reports : http://www.popastro.com/meteor/reports/ ... secRep=236

Update Aug 17: http://www.popastro.com/meteor/reports/ ... secRep=237

Fireball Summary: http://www.popastro.com/meteor/reports/ ... secRep=238

As you will see, the 23:21 UT fireball on Aug 12 was widely seen and there was also good coverage of the 00:35 UT fireball of the previous night.