Display text on your images

For those interested in imaging and image processing with DSLR, CCD, webcam or film.

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

gfletcher

Display text on your images

Post by gfletcher »

Hi Guys

Can anyone let me have website info that will enable me to write text on my images ?

thanks

Graham
Meade LX 10 8" SCT OTA, HEQ5,
Celestron X-cel LX 7mm,9mm,12mm,18mm,25mm
Skywatcher Panaview 32mm
Revelation 2" 42mm
William Optics Binoviewer
William Optics SCT Crayford Focuser
Olympus 8X40 DPS I binoculars
Brian

Re: Display text on your images

Post by Brian »

Hi Graham.

Not absolutely sure I understand exactly what you are after , but here are some thoughts anyway :)

Gimp is powerful free image manipulation software which will do what you want, although a bit overkill
http://www.gimp.org/,
and here's a Youtube video on how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQBQJQ643ow

Windows Paint, which comes with Windows installations will add text to and save a range of image formats

If you don't mind uploading your images (not sure about the "ownership" thing afterwards though) then something like PicFont will do it on-line:

http://picfont.com/

I use an old version of PaintshopPro (v8) I bought for a fiver long ago, but it still runs in Win7 to do my annotating. Older Photoshop Elements would probably work too.

HTH,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Brian
I am interested in your comments (in response to Graham) about "adding text to images" and in particular your mention of Paint Shop Pro.
I became a PSP fan many years ago (freeware originally if i remember correctly ?) and stuck with it ever since.
I was put off PhotoShop by Adobe's charge (which seemed excessive to me and subsequently ever increasing even worse - although if looked on as providing numerous other companies using it to great financial gain arguably Adobe might be justified). However, over the years things have moved on - Adobe saw the light and provided "cheaper liter" software and PSP was taken over by Corel who produced pricier PSPs more sophisticated but "BETTER ?????".
I wonder I bought several PSP upgrades my most recent being PSP x4 plus (although maybe realy MINUS).
I emailed Corel about my concerns related to some PSPx4 quirks. Meanwhile I was invited to buy a newer upgrade of x4 only £49-99 ie £10 off but they never answered my direct email query. Bearly another year on Corel have updated PSP again. Now if Corel had responded to my email I might have been inclined to buy the latest PSP - but despite my long term concerns about going Adobe I am now having second thoughts.
Incidentally I have heard of GIMP but never really though of using it (me being computer illiterate and thinking I'm past possibly adding to my confusion.
However, my feeling is there may be a lot to be said for going back to PSP V7 or 8.
I wonder if our World's apparent decline is related to the history of PSP ?
Best wishes from Cliff
Brian

Post by Brian »

Dear Cliff,

I entirely agree about the latest Paintshop offerings. They seem to have degenerated into mere photo-editing packages, but at a price! The last really useful versions of PaintshopPro in my opinion were V7 and v8. These were real image-manipulation packages. In fact v7 was the last of the old-style, well-tried and understood Paintshop layouts, whilst v8 ushered in the newer layout which took me quite awhile to get used to. After a few years I still like v8 a lot, and I'm glad it will still run in Windows 7 with a bit of tweaking. I hope it will still function in Windows 8 and beyond.

Best regards,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
David1952

Post by David1952 »

You also might want to use Faststone Image Viewer. Its free and does most anything.

David