Help for Mac users?

For those interested in imaging and image processing with DSLR, CCD, webcam or film.

Moderators: joe, Guy Fennimore, Brian

dazcaz

Help for Mac users?

Post by dazcaz »

Following on from the earlier webcam question can I ask....

What is out there for Mac users?
When I used to have Windows machines I used any old web cam or digital camera, Registax and a program (I forget the name now) that chopped up AVI files into individual frames, or at least converted video to a format registax could use.

What is out there for Mac users?
I once came last in an astronomy competition.
I was awarded a constellation prize

Skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5
Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak
Celestron C4-R CG-4 mount
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi. Have a look at these threads for a start

http://www.popastro.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15159
http://www.popastro.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... highlight=

The "macastronomer" link has a number of possibilities. In the meantime I'll see if there's any other advice out there :)

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

Thanks Brian.
I downloaded keith's Image Stacker a month or two ago but I can't get any joy out of it.
I cannot get it to stabilise on the subject as it moves in the frame of the movie. it separates out the frames but when I stack them I just a feint smudge down the finished frame.

I need an idiots guide... The documentation goes way over my head :)

I have a load of AVIs that I shot a few years back. I managed an OK image of Saturn out of one of them back when I ran Windows machines and Registax, but get no joy with KIS. If I can get KIS to work for me then I will start shooting more films and/or photographs.

I'm also looking for something that will get a decent webcam working.

As much as I love Macs, they can be a pain in the arris occasionally :)

Brian

Post by Brian »

Yes, I'm afraid many Mac users have set up a Windoze partition to get their astro work done :shock:

Anyway, have a look at these two threads on SGL where a very similar question was asked:

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions ... e-mac.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-dis ... tware.html

HTH,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
andywills

Post by andywills »

I have to admit, I haven't looked into mac software yet, but alternative.net points to a lot of mac software alternatives. If you go down the windows route, try virtualbox which lets you run windows within osx so you don't have to partition or run bootcamp. I use autocad and solidworks through it with good results (I have the late 2009 model mac)
dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

I have managed to get KIS to track and stack... The only problem now is getting the resultant image saved in a format I can use. It Saves in PICT format and my MBpro won't open them :(

So near yet so far.

It's a half decent image from an old video I shot ages back. It's nothing compared to some of the great images you see in the gallery, but it's a promising start :).... If only I could see it outside the KIS software.

dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

andywills wrote: If you go down the windows route, try virtualbox which lets you run windows within osx
I'd pull my own teeth out before I run Windows on a Mac :)

Search long enough and a FREE Mac version of whatever you need turns up :)

andywills

Post by andywills »

I know what you mean Daz, but I use AutoCAD and Solidworks for work (I'm a CAD Technician). AutoCAD has a mac version but Solidworks dosen't (but the subscription we have on the software allows me to run them at home legally)....Keynote blows Powerpoint out of the water everytime and being able to manipulate a PDF as if it was an image is a god send, the boot time of less than 30 seconds, the apples "it's just works" attitude and the price of the software is great...anyway...enough of the fanboy stuff (it usually starts a PC-MAC war) :)

I had a thought of a possible work around....

I assume you have GIMP instead of having to pay for Adobe. There is a plug-in called Python-Fu Render...where you could open the images as layers and merge them down (it's a work around for creating HDR photos on cameras that don't do them so it may work)

Have a look at this link http://gimp-image-reg.sourceforge.net/examples-en.html

It's about aligning layers...not sure how well it does it or the limitations of number of layers, time it takes, etc...havn't had a play with it yet
Vapouriser

Apple and webcam

Post by Vapouriser »

Dont know if macam any good for you. I ve just asked about a few pists after yours and it may just be simple enough for me![/list]
120 evostar
150 evostar
150newtonian
eq3
az4
cg5
Vapouriser

Aple webcam

Post by Vapouriser »

I mean posts.
120 evostar
150 evostar