SPA Planetarium meeting, 19 November 2005

The place to leave details of astronomical attractions

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Robin Scagell

SPA Planetarium meeting, 19 November 2005

Post by Robin Scagell »

SPA meeting this Saturday

There will be a special SPA meeting this coming Saturday, 19 November at 10 am sharp at the London Planetarium, Marylebone Road, London NW1 5LR. This 50-minute live presentation is free to SPA members only. The subject is 'Keeping an Eye on Mars -- the Night Sky this Autumn', presented by Robin Scagell and Emily Baldwin, and looks at the current close approach of the Red Planet. As well as showing you how to find Mars and other celestial sights this autumn, it will include the very latest views of the planet as seen by both amateur astronomers and the spacecraft currently on Mars. You must bring your membership card for admission, with no more than one guest per member. Latecomers cannot be admitted to the show.

The Planetarium is adjacent to Baker Street Station.
mcab

Re:SPA meeting this Saturday

Post by mcab »

I was very sorry to miss this meeting but I assume it was arranged at short notice and hence not announced in "Pop Astro". Unfortunately my copy of the November news circular arrived after the meeting. :(
Nevertheless, having been to quite a number of these Planetarium meets in the past, I'm sure that Robin put on a good show and I would like to take this opportunity to thank him for all the wonderful shows we have had in the past.
I am now watching the web site to make sure I don't miss any more.
Robin Scagell

Post by Robin Scagell »

Sadly, a series of errors at our end (no names, no pack drill, but we all share responsibility) meant that the publicity for this event was restricted to just the website and a verbal notice at the previous London meeting.

Things are changing at the London Planetarium. You can see what I mean when I tell you that it is now officially called the 'Auditorium'. The present Education Director, Teresa Grafton, leaves at the end of the year so the schools' shows will finish as well.

The only way to see a show there now is to visit Madame Tussauds and you get a ten-minute show as part of the ticket. There are no separate shows. The original 40-minute narrated shows ended years ago.

Whether the SPA will run free shows there again is at the moment very much in doubt. Ours may have been the last original narrated show ever, though the last schools show will be on 14 December. Private events may have their own show, though I don't think any of them request star shows.

Robin
spawebmaster
Site Admin

Post by spawebmaster »

There was also an Electronic News Bulletin about the meeting at the start of the week, so it might be worth ensuring that you are subscribing to these (it's free).

Paul
mcab

End of an Era

Post by mcab »

I was very sad to hear Robin's news since all the shows I attended were such a fantastic experience.
Once again my heartfelt thanks to all who made them possible but especially to Robin who's knowledge and excellent presentations made the events so special.
Malcolm