It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:31 am

Post subject: Matter/anti-matter
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

It's not a discovery or an explanation.... BBC Science News.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:32 am 

It seems obvious that the reason there's more matter in the universe than anti-matter is that the latter doesn't matter. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:23 pm 

Dear Joe
What can I say ?
Well, I recall thinking, quite a few years ago now, and I assume that many others have had similar thoughts, so I don't claim my ideas totally original - that the more scientists try to delve into what makes up matter, the more bits they would find.
There is an article "Matter:the next generation" by David Shiga in this weeks (29 May) "New scientist" magazine.
I must admit I'll probably need to read it a few more times to make proper sense of it, but it starts by saying :-
"Two teams working at the Tevatron particle smasher in Batavia, Illinois, have found hints of a new generation of fundamental particles, to add to the three generations we already know about. What's so special about these new particles ? If they do exist, they might explain - how the universe avoided self destruction in its earliest moments after the big bang."
I can only think that what has happened in the twenty, thirty, or 40 years since I came up with my old ...... more and more and ever more particles being discovered theory all them years ago was right.
The only practical way of coming up with the ultimate answer is to build a big\powerful enough particle accelerater to create the same conditions as the big bang.
I think it likely building a collider bigger that the Large Hadron Collider is pie in the sky, so I think unless we are kucky enough to observe someting spectacular in nature that reveals all I think it unlikely we will get all the answers soon.
Best wishes from Cliff: