EP and barlow lense

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

richardw

EP and barlow lense

Post by richardw »

Hi all

Im new to this forum and only have a limited knowledge of telescopes etc.
I recently bought a skywatcher skyhawk 114 newtonian reflector which came with super 10mm, super 25 wide angle and 2x barlow lense.

This is great for viewing clusters, not seen with the unaided eye but planets such as mars looks like a dot. :cry:

What EP and/or barlow lense would you recommend to see mars/saturn etc

Thanks
richardw

Post by richardw »

would i better buying a 3mm EP and 3x barlow lense to view saturn or mars

or

40mm and 3x barlow lense

ta
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear RichardW
I suggest that you hang fire for the time being at least.
Mars is currently quite small in apparent size and can be very frustrating to observe.
Be patient for a while yet. Get some observing experience behind you with the gear you've already got. Hopefully you will gradually get some increasingly better views through your scope (though not necessarily of Mars for quite a long time !).
If you are impatient (and let's face it who isn't) you could visit\join your local astronomical society and discuss things there and maybe get the chance to look through other telescopes as well.
Best of luck from Cliff
M54

Post by M54 »

Mars is small.
Saturn is small.
With about x100 you should see Saturn and it's rings. Although they are close to edge on at present. x120 would be better but as the magnification goes up the clarity and detail goes down.

For Mars you need more then I suspect that the 114 is capable of, x160 seems to be a minimum I see talked about, and x200-300 is common.

Personally I wouldn't add a barlow into the path, more glass. There seem very few barlows that do not simply make the final image bigger but a lot poorer and that is less then useless.

Before you go and buy the first EP to give say x100 remember that the EP will have to be good also. A cheapie isn't going to do anything.