It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:27 am

Post subject: Planetarium software
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:03 pm 

Can anybody recommend so decent planetarium software for PC. I currently have a copy of starry Night Backyard but, despite having a fully legal copy am unable to get a valid license code from anywhere (including starry Night and including the publisher). Whilst I can still run the software, I and the French authorities are extremely strict about software licensing (in France software theft is treated the same way as any other theft – its all just theft) and the version I seem to have gives every impression of being stolen or an illegal copy !!

Getting nowhere with support organisations, etc. so looks like I will have to look elsewhere.

Thus, any suggestions about worthwhile software packages ?

Many thanks

Ian

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:14 pm 

Ummm - you've just posted to 'Computers and Astronomy', the first posting of which is the sticky thread "Astronomy Software List".

Personally I use Starry Night on PC. The 4.5 Enthusiast version occasionally appears on computer magazine cover CD's. I've recently bought v5 when Amazon had a £20 deal on it.

My favourite handheld software was 'Planetarium'. I say was because it is only available on Palm based systems. Since my Clie screen broke I switched to portable PC - but have not found any handheld astronomy software anywhere approaching the 'Planetarium' features.

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:45 pm 

nealeh wrote:
My favourite handheld software was 'Planetarium'. I say was because it is only available on Palm based systems. Since my Clie screen broke I switched to portable PC - but have not found any handheld astronomy software anywhere approaching the 'Planetarium' features.

But I have just discovered http://www.styletap.com/ which is a Palm emulator for PocketPC. Seems to run Planetarium OK.

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:12 am 

Hello Deimos,

If you read the sticky thread as nealeh suggested you will see this link;

http://astro.nineplanets.org/astrosoftware.html

This will give you a huge list of software that you can use with different platforms.

I like Cartes du Ciel which is a freeware application that does not require any license. So if France is as strict as you say, a "free" piece of software that has no license restrictions might suit your needs.

Although if you have bought a legitimate software package you should be able to use it.

I don't condone software piracy in any way, if you like the software, buy it and support the developers.

Thank you,
Apollo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:05 pm 

Many thanks for the comments. The Cartes du Ciel looks a fantastic package. Trouble is that the “help pageâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:07 am 

After You have installed Cartes du Ceil don't forget to download the sister programme Virtual Moon. If you do this when you click on the Moon in CdC you can open Virtual Moon to give you a very detailed view of the moon.

Virtual Moon is itself available in 3 versions. The PRO version if your computer has the space and the power gives some very nice overlays for geology, altitude and mineral abandances.

Reccommended

JohnM