Lunar Eclipse observation 16th May Report

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

michael feist

Lunar Eclipse observation 16th May Report

Post by michael feist »

Eclipse of the Moon. 16/5/22. Awoke at 0125 BST, got up to make tea and finding the Full Moon clear of clouds and low in the south, set the 7½x50 and 7x50 binoculars on the table near the west-facing downstairs window ready, and later the MAK80 (at x32) at the upper west-facing window. By 0200BST clouds invaded the sky and lightning flashed in the west but by 0242 BST the clouds had broken somewhat and by 0320BST the penumbral shading was noticeable using the MAK and not long afterwards the Umbra started to creep across the lunar disc, until 0350BST when clouds intervened again. Finally at 0407BST a further glimpse of the Moon 'as a crescent' appeared about ½ fov of 7x50 above Southwick Hill and then lost for good. An unexpectedly successful observation considering the unfavourable weather forecast! Regards mike f. (In the land of the South Saxons.)
Brian

Re: Lunar Eclipse observation 16th May Report

Post by Brian »

So did anyone in the UK other than Mike see the eclipse? There don't seem to be many reeports, mainly from abroad.
I looked out at 04.30BST to see a wall of grey cloud, so went back to bed :)
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50, Practika 8x21
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D, Lumix TZ18
Ro-Ro roof shed
Paul Freeman

Post by Paul Freeman »

I managed to see the first part of the partial phase around 3:30am. I looked again around 3:50, quite clear but low cloud was beginning to intervene. I tried again at 4:15 but completely cloudy.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Brian wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:09 pm So did anyone in the UK other than Mike see the eclipse? There don't seem to be many reports, mainly from abroad.
I looked out at 04.30BST to see a wall of grey cloud, so went back to bed :)
Sadly the same for me, Brian. The forecast was as predicted. I got up at 3:40am to solid cloud, and went back to bed most displeased.

Well done Mike and Paul - good to hear of someone witnessing this wonderful event.

Best wishes, Jeff.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

One of my astronomical friends who lives in Shoreham overlooking the River Adur, also saw it from his house, with similar results to mine. My wife Sandra also watched part of it in her binocular from the settee after I woke her when I realised that the sky was partly clear, against the predicted weather forecast! Another astronomical friend, who was staying at Kidderminster was completely clouded out. So I was just lucky and was able to add it as number 23 in my list of observed Lunar Eclipses.
Whether the Solar Eclipse later in the year will become my 11th Observed Solar Eclipse, I shall have to wait and see!
Regards mike f.