The Moon through binoculars

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

michael feist

Re: The Moon through binoculars

Post by michael feist »

Yes. On the 28th December 2012, I bought a Celestron Outland 6x30 roof-prism multi-coated, waterproof-fogproof monocular from Men's gift shop in Worthing. It had a putative 10.5 degree putative fov. I used it in January 2013 to view Venus and it April saw M31 + Comet Panstarr in the same fov. It cost either £35.00 or £39.99 (?]. Finally gave it away. Was item no. 137 in my life-list of used optics. certainly was not rubbish but cannot remember exactly how accurate the fov was given. regards maf.
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Thanks Mike, on the basis of your comments it seems worth looking into. I’ve ordered one of these 6x30s today from an interesting bird watching set up in Norfolk called Clayspy, £22.98 with postage. Yes, I’m a bit skeptical of the claimed 10.5 degree fov, but anything approaching that will be interesting. I’ll do a doorstep test and write it up when it arrives. Many thanks, Bob
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

Monoculars - how easy is it to hold them steady? Presumably they tend to weigh less than a pair of binoculars, but then again you can only use one hand to hold them?
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

In the unlikely event of it being clear tonight, a 2.5 day old Moon will be visible until about 7pm. There's a favourable libration in the NE, so, from that 1877 "target list", Mare Humboldtianum might be visible in (small) binoculars. Or monoculars :)

M. H. is the small splash of mare to the NE of Endymion, which in turn lies to the NE of Atlas and Hercules. Not that the last three will be visible tonight :) I think the libration will be enough to bring the eastern edge of the mare into view.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Thanks for the information. If it does clear then I'll give it a go, but I think time is not on my side this evening.

Best wishes, Jeff.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

There is nothing to stop you holding a monocular with one hand, and also supporting it with the other. And many do have a thread to fit a tripod or pistol-grip. If you intent to use a tripod it is often a good idea to use an pistol-grip as well to mount one on a tripod. Using a tripod, of course negates the advantage of a light-weight portable instrument. Monoculars are obviously lighter than a similar size binocular, and I find then easier to use as one only has one eye to consider.
I did see the crescent Moon tonight after sunset but lots of cloud about and no detail visible on the Moon.
regards maf.