Beginners scope ?

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

skyhawk

Beginners scope ?

Post by skyhawk »

I have been watching this

https://www.facebook.com/popastro/video ... 311290030/

Not a bad starter scope, I note that as with all cheap scopes it is very very unstable, and needs to be weighted down or it will be disappointing, also why is the video back to front, has it been shot in a mirror. I have never seen anyone manage to mirror a video before ?
weight.jpg
weight.jpg (36.89 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
The problem is that she is reviewing it from the point of vies of a person who NO disrespect, has NO idea of what a decent scope should be, this is what i would give a 12 year old as a first scope and there are MUCH better ones available.

You will soon be very disappointed with the quality of the scope, the terrible eyepieces and awful diagonal, what is worse would be to throw AWAY money on it buying more eyepieces. One half decent eyepiece costs what this setup costs.

MY advice, get a DOB. There is no getting away from the fact that cheap is........... well cheap for a reason. If it costs £140, take off manufacturers profit, suppliers costs and markup, retailers profit you are looking at about £40 of materials !

Do this
weight.jpg
weight.jpg (36.89 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
Attachments
sc.jpg
sc.jpg (101.42 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you
brian livesey

Re: Beginners scope ?

Post by brian livesey »

There are plenty of low cost basic achromatic refractors out there. I've accumulated several over the years. It's best to see telescope reviews, instead of grabbing the first thing we see.
I once purchased a Celestron 100mm reflector on a Dob base from Aldi and it was rubbish.
brian
John G

Post by John G »

Seems to be so much choice for someone new and enthusiastic to the hobby, these starter scopes must be appealing the way they are pitched and advertised. I can understand why someone new might be wary of investing a lot of money on astro gear, I think we all might have made an expensive mistake or two at some point in the pursuit of the right kit.
John
Evolution 9.25 // OO UK VX6 // Vixen SD 81S // TS 72 Apo // Encodered AYO II // Pentax 9x50
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Some cheap refractors have surprisingly good optics, as my own collection testifies to. It's a great help when we have enough basic knowledge to test a 'scope for optical defects: chromatism, spherical aberration, coma and astigmatism. We don't need an extensive knowledge of optics to test for these defects before a purchase. There are occasions when only the eyepieces are at fault, so it pays to have good eyepiece with us to test with before a purchase.
I once purchased a Skylux 70mm/f10 refractor from Lidl with a nice little equatorial mounting for £149. I still have the Skylux and use it as a stage 1 PST mod.
brian
Kay Burton

Post by Kay Burton »

When you're a beginner, mistakes are inevitable. Therefore, it makes sense to contact the forum, consult with more experienced astronomers before shopping. Few people are happy about unnecessary expenses, and even more so now, when the situation is so unstable.
tenka

Post by tenka »

Hi all, I'm new to both the forum and astronomy so forgive me if my question has already been answered! Is there anything for under £200 that would give a half decent view of Mars at the moment? I can see it on most clear nights at the moment to the south east and it'd be great to get a scope for my son to use and get into astronomy. Thanks in advance :)
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Don't rush into things.
It takes a bit of practice to get used to handling even a basic telescope and seeing what it's capable of showing a beginner (people are often surprised at how small the planets look in even largish telescopes - its a bit like learning to examine an exquisite miniature). Detail on Mars will only be in range of beginners scopes for a few more weeks even if the weather is kind. A Skywatcher Evostar 90 AZ3 (around £160 if you can get free uk delivery) is a good option. But you would also need a x2 barlow lens with this instrument to give it extra magnifications of x72 and x180 with the basic eyepieces supplied. A proper 90 degree star diagonal would also be a good accessory for viewing objects that are higher up (the 45 degree erect image diagonal is not great). You could keep the cost of the whole bundle to within say £230. It would give impressive views of the Moon, star clusters and double stars.
I wonder what others would advise? Kind thoughts to you, Bob
Brian

Post by Brian »

I would add that any new telescope requires time and "practice" to get the best from it. This applies to all observers, irrespective of their age and experience. One beginners comment seen again and again is that the planets look extremely small in the telescope eyepiece , even giant Jupiter. The detail is there, but you will need to train your eyes to pick it out. Don't expect to see anything like the images that abound on the internet, especially those used to sell really cheap telescopes.

Maybe have a look at the telescope in the link below. It has just become available but is a bit outside your budget. It is a simple "push-to" Dobsonian (6 inch Newtonian) reflector telescope designed mainly for solar, lunar and planetary observation:

https://www.telescopehouse.com/bresser- ... scope.html

Just a suggestion,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

'A half descent view of Mars, at the moment'...telescope for?'
Mars as a target is really only close enough, of course, every few years, and I would think it was a bit late for a beginner to think now about going out to buy a suitable 'scope, with no time to get used to using it, before the planet dwindles in size again. One, no doubt, require a large enough scope and of good quality to enable reasonably high magnification. Mars, I feel, can be rather a disappointment as a target for the backyard skywatcher. In fact, although I enjoy the general views of the planet brightening and traversing the various constellations, I find Mars [and Saturn] not to be my favourite planetary target[s]. Still, each to their own, but as has already been mentioned here, planetary views appear very small in telescopes when compared with some advertisements 'on the box'. regards mike [the watcher].
tenka

Post by tenka »

Hi all. Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions Bob, Brian and Mike - much appreciated! I've had a look at all the links and scopes you mentioned, thank you. I think I was getting a bit ahead of myself and have decided to just enjoy looking at Mars without a scope for now while I do some more research and learn more about the right set up for a young novice! In the meantime, my son is really happy that his teacher found him some augmented reality planets which he can see on his iPad for now. Of course it's not quite the same as looking up at the sky at night but if he can see what Mars and the moon look like it helps keep his interest in astronomy :) thanks again all.