It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:40 am

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:28 pm 

Here is a fact that people get WRONG almost every single time, people say "this is a quantum leap in technology" or similar, when in fact a QL is the SMALLEST leap, therefore people are in fact saying "This is a very small leap in technology", believing a QL to be a BIG leap.

WRONG................................In physics, a quantum leap or quantum jump is a change of an electron from one energy state to another within an atom...............Some people think that a quantum leap is a particularly large leap.

This is incorrect. In fact, in quantum physics, where the expression came from, a quantum leap is usually a very tiny leap indeed, often smaller than the diameter of the nucleus of an atom.

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

Last edited by skyhawk on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:33 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
And should not "to decimate" mean to kill one tenth of a group of people and not to massacre nearly all of them.? And the thin Moon after New should be a crescent as it is growing bigger but the very thin old Moon should perhaps be a decrescent, as it is decreasing. This word does exist...I try to use it when appropriate! Regards maf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:07 am 

mike a feist wrote:
And should not "to decimate" mean to kill one tenth of a group of people and not to massacre nearly all of them.? And the thin Moon after New should be a crescent as it is growing bigger but the very thin old Moon should perhaps be a decrescent, as it is decreasing. This word does exist...I try to use it when appropriate! Regards maf

Two more words used that people can never get in the right context

Less and Fewer

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

Last edited by skyhawk on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:01 am 

...and what about "parabolic flight"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:46 pm 

Parabolic flight was something I was kindly informed by Stella as being wrong.

Even in University it wasn't challenged, so far as I remember, with studies of orbits, but it is well over fifty years ago and I cannot remember.

Comets can have parabolic orbits or at least near, and also hyperbolic orbits.
But even these orbits are changed by passes into stellar systems.

Not on topic, but over the last ten days there have been perhaps six gales with gusts of 57mph at least, and probably considerably higher.
When the sky was clear, especially after sunset, the transparency was exceptionally good.
Usually it is this good maybe twice a year.
There have been at least five such nights in the past ten days.
Even here the sky just above the horizon had little colour, and the Sun was almost undetectable when hidden by a tree.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:54 pm 

stella wrote:
...and what about "parabolic flight"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ieR8hIXUIg

:)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:55 pm 

David Frydman wrote:
Parabolic flight was something I was kindly informed by Stella as being wrong.

Even in University it wasn't challenged, so far as I remember, with studies of orbits, but it is well over fifty years ago and I cannot remember.

Comets can have parabolic orbits or at least near, and also hyperbolic orbits.
But even these orbits are changed by passes into stellar systems.

Not on topic, but over the last ten days there have been perhaps six gales with gusts of 57mph at least, and probably considerably higher.
When the sky was clear, especially after sunset, the transparency was exceptionally good.
Usually it is this good maybe twice a year.
There have been at least five such nights in the past ten days.
Even here the sky just above the horizon had little colour, and the Sun was almost undetectable when hidden by a tree.

Regards,
David

I was told off by a MOD for posting OFF topic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:08 pm 

David mentions comets, orbits and stellar systems in his post. As far as I know these are astro topics :D

Meteorology, especially seeing/atmospheric related items affecting observing should in my opinion be allowed in astro-discussions.

Just my 2p :)

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:21 pm 

Brian wrote:
David mentions comets, orbits and stellar systems in his post. As far as I know these are astro topics :D

Meteorology, especially seeing/atmospheric related items affecting observing should in my opinion be allowed in astro-discussions.

Just my 2p :)

On that note you only need "one" sub heading on the whole forum, Astronomy, THESE are ALL Astronomy

Observing
Gallery
Imaging techniques
General chat
Absolute beginners
Telescopes and instruments
Light pollution
Computers and astronomy
Classifieds

I started a post in Astronomy general chat aimed at Here is a fact that people get WRONG almost every time anyone can start a separate thread or what is the point.

Sorry

NO disrespect to DF I am replying to a response and would not have, had it not come up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:52 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
'Decimated' as a term really is off topic, sorry...but the 'crescent/decrescent' for phases of the Moon is completely on topic.
I think that these completely washed out nights are making us, at least me, crazy...maf.