It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:54 pm

Post subject: New solar scope arrived
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:17 pm 

Quarp and 72mm ED came today

Attachment:
IMG_20180918_154839539[1].jpg
IMG_20180918_154839539[1].jpg [ 141.87 KiB | Viewed 2438 times ]

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:56 pm 

Looking Good :D

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:10 pm 

Being a single father of three disabled sons it was only when I retired last december and not smoking that I could afford gear.

Sold my PST that to be honest was rubbish, just could not get a decent image, ME not the scope, saw one of these in use, sold PST and got the skywatcher 72mm ED and the Quark Daystar, mounted on the evolution mount from my ED EDGE Celestron

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:01 am 

Have fun Skyhawk with your new solar set-up.
I have two PSTs. One is used as normal and also in double-stack mode with a Lunt etalon
( LS50F ). The second PST is a stage 1 mod, attached to a 70mm/f.10 refractor.
A problem with the PST is that etalon quality can vary considerably from one to another. It's been said that about 10% of PST etalons are excellent, while 50% are good, and the rest are poor. Mine are okay.
What some users don't like about the PST design is its quirky focusing arrangement. It can introduce astigmatism. Also, the IR blocking filter, sooner or later, clouds up. This is due to humidity finding its way into the laminations of the filter. The BAADER 35nm filter makes an excellent replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:21 pm 

brian livesey wrote:
I have two PSTs. One is used as normal and also in double-stack mode with a Lunt etalon
A problem with the PST is that etalon quality can vary considerably from one to another. It's been said that about 10% of PST etalons are excellent, while 50% are good, and the rest are poor. Mine are okay.
What some users don't like about the PST design is its quirky focusing arrangement. It can introduce astigmatism. Also, the IR blocking filter, sooner or later, clouds up. This is due to humidity finding its way into the laminations of the filter. The BAADER 35nm filter makes an excellent replacement.

It is just a REAL pain to get the images, It was a good scope, I had one when it first came out and sold it last year in MINT condition, no rust, regretted it and bought another 5 months later on ebay, then I got to use the Daystar Quark, on the same day I had my PST out, it blew it away, I had one just visible CME in the daystar there were FOUR brilliant ones.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:11 pm 

A good PST can produce superb results, as Smerral has shown us with his double-stack PST imaging.
Using a handheld compact camera, I was able to take a sharp image of the last Mercury transit.
The planet shows no bigger than a full stop, with two small limb proms, and dark filaments on the face of the Sun.
A main attraction of the PST is that it can be easily modded to a bigger aperture 'scope.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:00 pm 

brian livesey wrote:
A good PST can produce superb results, as Smerral has shown us with his double-stack PST imaging.
Using a handheld compact camera, I was able to take a sharp image of the last Mercury transit.
The planet shows no bigger than a full stop, with two small limb proms, and dark filaments on the face of the Sun.
A main attraction of the PST is that it can be easily modded to a bigger aperture 'scope.

Yes but I don't want to MOD, I can attach the Daystar Quark to ANY refractor from 60mm to 6", and the quality outstrips a PST as good as PSTs are they are 40mm and extra expense and trouble is needed to mod them, and I can't be bothered most people can't be we want a good setup from the start.

Also like it or not a double stacked PST has a much dimmer image when viewing, at least I am speaking from years of experience

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/qua ... piece.html

Attachment:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg [ 38.06 KiB | Viewed 2396 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:54 pm 

A problem with the Quark is that it requires a power supply. Your previous PSTs might have suffered from poor or mediocre etalon quality. There have been reports that the Quark can also vary in quality of performance. There are some fabulously detailed images of the Sun taken with the humble PST, with and without double-stacking.
Is it necessary to have a D-ERF ( Energy Rejection Filter ) on the front of a refractor when used with a Quark?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:01 pm 

brian livesey wrote:
A problem with the Quark is that it requires a power supply. Your previous PSTs might have suffered from poor or mediocre etalon quality. There have been reports that the Quark can also vary in quality of performance. There are some fabulously detailed images of the Sun taken with the humble PST, with and without double-stacking.
Is it necessary to have a D-ERF ( Energy Rejection Filter ) on the front of a refractor when used with a Quark?

No an ERF is NOT needed on a 120mm and under though you can add a 2" between the scope and diagonal if you want, and there are no problems with a power supply that I see, NO solar scope is perfect in fact NO telescope is the be all and end all, the Quark can easily be used on my 72mm, 80mm and 120mm giving me three solar scopes, so benefits outweigh any other concerns

I never said there weren't great images from PST's................. did I ? I said they are not for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:53 am 

How does the Quark handle the intense heat from a 120mm aperture refractor?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 am 

brian livesey wrote:
How does the Quark handle the intense heat from a 120mm aperture refractor?

Ask daystar how it works, I have no idea, see their site

AND I did state "though you can add a 2" between the scope and diagonal if you want"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tiffany Messerschmidt <tiffany@daystarinstruments.com>
Tue, Sep 18, 2018, 8:32 PM
to me

Jeremy,

Refractors 80mm: no ERF is needed.

Refractors above 80mm up to 150mm: must at least have a UV/IR cut
filter/ You can use a front mount ERF if you want.

Refractors above 150 & SCT: must have a Front mount ERF.

You can use a UV/IR with your set up.

Tiffany
Daystar Filters

Attachment:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg [ 47.41 KiB | Viewed 2047 times ]

Attachment:
Images.jpg
Images.jpg [ 204.76 KiB | Viewed 2047 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:00 pm 

brian livesey wrote:

I have nothing against the PST except that I found looking through it and imaging very hard, even with a 4x binomate or 2x barlow, the Daystar is a LOT easier

Here are two of my images Patrick used, from a PST, real pain to get

Attachment:
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg [ 238.87 KiB | Viewed 2047 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:02 am 

Thanks for the interesting information.