New Year's Eve Ultima Thule flyby

Hubble, probes to the planets etc

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

New Year's Eve Ultima Thule flyby

Post by brian livesey »

On New Year's Eve and Day, Nasa's New Horizons spacecraft, that gave us our first closeups of Pluto, will approach and flyby the remote and mysterious binary object Ultima Thule.
The probe will pass three times closer to the binary object than it was to Pluto, so researchers are expecting some interesting data to come from the encounter.
Ultima Thule is the most distant object so far to be visited by a space probe. The data may provide researchers with vital evidence about the primordial origin of the Solar System
brian

brian livesey

Re: New Year's Eve Ultima Thule flyby

Post by brian livesey »

The flyby was a resounding success and the probe is sending back images of the object from a distance of 6 light hours.
brian

skyhawk

Re: New Year's Eve Ultima Thule flyby

Post by skyhawk »

https://newatlas.com/new-horizons-ultim ... yby/57834/

What baffles me is the slowness of the downloads, this is a modern probe, using what, a b****y dial up connection ?
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you