It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:29 pm

Post subject: Martian Railways
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:32 pm 

Dear al(L)
Mars might be an alternative to Earth for Humans to live in the near future.
Once a Mars base has been established, a second base on the opposite side of the Red Planet should soon follow. High Speed Mars One trains will probably travel on straight tracks (bent round Mars curved surface of course) at speeds of perhaps 2,000 kph. Leaving Mars 1 after breakfast and arriving at Mars 2 before lunch.
Another thing there would be NO leaves on the Martian railway lines wrecking the martian railway time table. Although if martian environmentalists start planting trees, leaves on the martian railway lines might become a problem. Our UK governments enthusiasm for planting trees are causing havoc on North of England railways.
Best wishes from Cliff
PS - A Martian Railway up to the top of Olympic Mo(oooooooo)ns (ie MRHS2) travelling slower up slopes of nearly 10 degrees might be the Most Boring Mountan Railway in the whole universe.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Martian Railways
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:26 pm 

Dear Cliff,
Dust on the line might be the problem on Mars :lol:
Sorry,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:04 am 

Cliff wrote:
Dear al(L)
Mars might be an alternative to Earth for Humans to live in the near future.
Once a Mars base has been established, a second base on the opposite side of the Red Planet should soon follow. High Speed Mars One trains will probably travel on straight tracks (bent round Mars curved surface of course) at speeds of perhaps 2,000 kph. Leaving Mars 1 after breakfast and arriving at Mars 2 before lunch.
Another thing there would be NO leaves on the Martian railway lines wrecking the martian railway time table. Although if martian environmentalists start planting trees, leaves on the martian railway lines might become a problem. Our UK governments enthusiasm for planting trees are causing havoc on North of England railways.
Best wishes from Cliff
PS - A Martian Railway up to the top of Olympic Mo(oooooooo)ns (ie MRHS2) travelling slower up slopes of nearly 10 degrees might be the Most Boring Mountan Railway in the whole universe.

:)

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:22 pm 

A great deal of nonsense is being propagated about Mars colonisation by the likes of Richard Branson, Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos, who have their sights on juicy contracts.
We can add Professor Brian Cox to the list of space-faring dystopians, who thinks that without a Mars colony "we will destroy ourselves in the next half-century" - The "i" Nov. 20th. It seems that the Professor has access to a crystal ball.
It's ludicrous to want to expend a vast amount of labour and materials on colonising a cinder, tens of millions of miles from verdant Earth. Look again: would you really want to live on Mars?
The priority at this time in our species development is surely to become responsible stewards of our planet, instead of fouling it. This requires a fundamental politico-economic transformation, a change that the above mentioned would have no interest in. They would more than likely vehemently oppose radical change.

Last edited by brian livesey on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:28 pm 

BrianL
I think we agree in many ways about this.
Unfortunately I think one of the biggest problems is over-population. Although I have to admit I don't know how to satisfactorily deal with the problem.
The obvious simple solution wouldn't suit me.
However, we happily cull animals (although it seems doubtful if human culling animals really works in many instances (?)).
Although I think it might be popular to start culling everyone "earning" say £1,000,000 ie a million pounds bonus in any one year. And I'd be quite happy to hold the resulting collected cash myself.
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:35 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
...and then you, Cliff, would have so much cash that you might get culled! Sounds like suicide to me! Ha! Ha! maf.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:54 am 

Brian & Mike
I had considered the possibility of "dust" on the lines of my Martian Railways. Assuming two iron rails for each track - I'd fix two brushes & shovels in front of the train which will brush the track clean ahead of the train wheels, so the fast train can keep its speed up.
With regards me collecting excessive CEO bonuses - I did say I just hold the money. Although it did occur to me I could put the bonuses in a bank account and just spend the interest. That should keep everyone happy and I spend the spare cash quickly, so no need for suicide.
Cliff (PS - brush & shovels idea Patent soon to be applied for).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:56 pm 

What about the Martian cows on the line?
I suppose a cow catcher at the front of the engine.

At school, we had an interesting maths question.
If one digs a straight hole through the Earth between any two points, then with no friction, dropping through the hole, it takes I think 45 minutes to reach the other end.
If one doesn't grab hold, one goes back to the starting point in 90 minutes.
Simple harmonic motion.

It doesn't matter if it is Manchester to Paris or Manchester to Sydney.
It takes the same time.

The fact that it would get a little hot passing the Earth's centre is ignored.

My head is not up to calculating how long it would take to travel between two locations on Mars.
Perhaps someone would fancy working it out.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:38 pm 

David
If someone can dig a hole straight through the Earth, I think I might be able to devise a way to keep passengers cool. Although I wouldn't want to be a passenger myself.
Best of luck from Cliff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:34 pm 

I wouldn't want to be a passenger either Ciff. They say that Lucifer's down there. :wink: