It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:15 pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:16 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
2nd November 2016; 0530-0730 UT; used Acuter DS65A x19 + yellow filter. First view of all four moons this apparition. (Callisto way out following and the other three,preceeding Jupiter). The first sightings were made from the bedroon window and later set the scope up in the garden to follow until after sunrrise (the moons were lost pretty soon) but Jupiter not until it disappeared behind a nearby bush and had to move the tripod, thus losing it! Clear sky & cold. regards maf

Last edited by mike a feist on Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:55 pm 

Which colour filter do you find best Mike for Jupiter? Some say yellow's best, others green.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:39 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Brian:I have been toying with the set of four lunar & planetary filters that I recently bought. As I only use a low magnification ( x19 or x26), I imagine that the main advantages of some colours is lost to me ie to view the cloud belts, red spot etc. If one is looking at a planet against the bluish sky, presumably the yellow (#12) and red (#21) should increase the contrast by darkening the background sky. I love the Moon in the red (#21), and the yellow (#12) too, as I imagine they remove some of the bright-edge problems that remain and also act as a standard "moon-filter". I read somewhere too that the longer wavelengths are less troubled by scintillation etc when objects are near the horizon. I originally aimed to get just a neutral-density(grey) "moon-filter" but as I spend a lot of time observing against a dawn or dusk or even daylight skies, I thought that the yellow(#12) may help for that too. All a bit experimental really as I have never used them before (except for those old small binoculars with the yellow extra eyepiece filters I tried once.) regards maf