National Star-count Week

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

brian livesey

National Star-count Week

Post by brian livesey »

It begins tonight as part of a campaign to measure the levels of light pollution across the country. Last year’s survey revealed that 60 per cent of those who took part lived with light pollution.
The exercise asks people to see how many stars they can count in the constellation of Orion with the unaided eye. The information will assist countryside charity CPRE to map the best and worst parts of the country for astronomy and casual stargazing.
Evidence is growing on the effects of light pollution on animals and insects, and the disruption of sleep patterns.
CPRE said the study will help in lobbying the Government for more protection of the countryside from light pollution. We might wonder how accurate the Orion star-count will be. Some inexperienced participants might star count when Orion is low, so that stars visible at Orion’s highest elevation might not be seen through the thicker atmosphere.
brian
jeff.stevens

Re: National Star-count Week

Post by jeff.stevens »

I shall give it a go, weather permitting.

Best wishes, Jeff.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Has anyone attempted the Orion star-count yet? We’ve had a run of clear nights here, but too bitterly cold for some of us to want to venture outdoors. We must be big softies. :D
brian
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

I went out last night for 30 mins or so, with Orion due south and thus as high as it gets.

Not good results - I could see about seven stars :( And the skies are not light polluted here, so either there was high-level haze or my eyes were having a night off! Mind you, I had had a generous glass of wine at dinner - I believe that doesn't always help, though I've not carried out controlled experiments :wink:

I intend to try again when I can, though of course the Moon is coming back.
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

I had a couple of clear nights last week where I live on the outskirts of east Leeds. I did not realise just how bad the LP has got where I live, I only managed 9 stars at best on the 2021/02/10 at 21:00UT.

Andy
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Andy, It's been poor on the south side of Leeds and I've not been able to do any kind of star count at all. BTW forgive my strange query (for the sake of protecting personal information) but if your surname ends in "...ham", it is quite likely that your father is my oldest friend! Bob
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Hi Bob, Since Christmas its been pretty horrendous in terms of weather on this side of the city unfortunately there is no "ham" on my surname.

Best Regards
Andy
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Hello Andy, I'll explain the strange query. I recently got back in touch with my oldest pal after losing touch for 50yrs. He lives in Garforth, was/is interested in Astronomy, has a son also in the area whom I know is called Andrew, and the surname begins with F... So, putting it all 4 facts together I came up with egg on me and no ham on you. It's a large world after all!
Let's hope the sky is clear tonight, Regards Bob
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

Hi Bob, What an odd coincidence. Late last year I also managed to get back in touch with one of my oldest mates, we were both apprentices at the Royal Ordnance Factory - Leeds in 1977 when we met, both of us still into our astronomy after all those years. Best Regards Andy
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

I had a quick go at the Orion Star Count again tonight, but it wasn't very successful. I was trapped between sunset and moonrise! I was observing about 20 minutes before moonrise, but the western sky was still blue. I managed to see six stars, even though Orion was close to culmination :(

Hopefully it'll be better later on in the week when the Moon is out of the way and I can wait for the skies to get properly dark.

Has anybody else had a go?
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

I had a try during the count week and hit an abysmal four - the sky conditions were poor. Ill have another check, out of interest, when the Moon has waned.

Best wishes, Jeff.
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

I had a go last night. With direct vision I could see four stars. With averted vision I finally managed 12. According to the CPRE some people see 30+ though they don't save if that's direct or indirect vision.