More floodlight nonsense

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian, JohnM

Cliff

More floodlight nonsense

Post by Cliff »

Dear al(L)
I just read in our local newspaper that some old railway arches (Clifton Viaduct) 2 kilometres are proposed to be illuminated "using LEDs". The proposal is by the Forestry Commission headed by their award winning chief designer Dr Geoff Freeman. The arches are a grade2 listed construction feature which was actually closed to rail traffic in 1966.
Of course LEDs do not use vast amounts of electricity.
However, such projects as this make an absolute nonsense of "official" policies about global warming.
Best wishes from Cliff
astro_dt

Post by astro_dt »

Hi Cliff
Problem with LEDs is that although they don't use much power themsleves, you have to step the voltage down from 240V and that wastes energy.
Sadly the whole world goes LED, I don't think our light pollution filters will work anymore.
Cheers
Danny
ETX125 WO Z66SD Meade DSI Canon DSLR
http://www.astronomical-odds.co.uk
The question maybe "why?" but the answer is usually "why not?"
LeoLion

Post by LeoLion »

Hi Cliff, It does sound like 'lighting for lightings sake. LED's may be energy green. Why light up this hidden 'item of interest' so the yobs/vandals can see it and damage it or 'lift it' in bits for gain . The Forestry man is ooop in Peebles .
This link [http://www.prestwichandwhitefieldguide. ... 038.print/] picks up on the news in one of the local papers . There would appear to be two planning applications in 52253 and 52254. The web allows you view applications ( for Bury use this link ) [http://e-planning.bury.gov.uk/DCWebPages/AcolNetCGI.gov] and enter either of the two numbers or Clifton Viaduct in the correct box.This one went in on 18/02/2010 . Over here in West Yorkshire we can view drawings , enviromental reports etc on the net and at no charge (other than on't council tax). Worth noting for any area if you want to keep an eye on whats going on locally . Keep an eye open for the posting of notices local to the Viaduct. We chatted at Chethams SHA meeting.
Best thing out of Bury - Black Puddings MMmmmmmm
Len E :D
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Danny and LeoLion
Thanks for your interesting comments.
I gather the matter will be "finalised" at a Bury' Council meeting in two weeks.
LeoLion you are more knowledgegable about the ins and outs of Bury politics than me (I'm ashamed to say). However, from what I read in the Prestwich and Whitefield Guide weekly newspaper 25 Feb, it seems a foregone conclusion Bury Council will pass the LED lighting proposal.
Actually I have drafted a last ditch blasting email to The Guide. I don't think my comments will change things but will certainly make me even more unpopular with certain people than I already am.
Best wishes from naffed off Cliff
PS - Danny your comments about the inefficiencies of LEDs might result in me modifying my email and being even more scathing about the Forestry Commission and their award winning designer a Dr Freedman.
LeoLion

Post by LeoLion »

Hi , Surfing the net re Clifton Viaduct I found that the Forestry Commision had this out as a tendering item on Tenders Direct -Document GB003YM79491 - Note this direct quote '-The Forestry Commission seeks quotations from appropriate lighting contractors to supply, install and commission a floodlighting scheme for the above grade 2 listed railway viaduct in Bury, near Manchester. The scheme will involve LED up-lighting and neon flex facia lighting of 9 masonry arches approximately 13m high and 15m span and one 18m high and 28m span.' Googling will get you to Tenders Direct. NB That tendering closure was at Christmas 2009 !
Any bats or other nocturnal wildlife that may/will be affected ? Any natural history conservation groups local and with wildlife knowledge? Is there an enviromental impact survey required under planning law ? What do you think about 'uplighting ' then. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Len E :evil:
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear LeoLion
Thanks again you are more on the ball than me. I have now finished drafting my very strong email to our local newspaper.
It's now a matter of me picking up the courage to send it.
Best of luck from Cliff - I need it !!!!!!
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

we managed to get a local proposal to illuminate the top section of a local theatre with a laser squashed, apparently they hadnt realised that if you shine a laser onto a stainless steel angled roof, that it wont illuminate it, just reflect the laser off into the sky, we pointed out that this might infringe flight paths as well, and unless the steel panel had a surface texture then it wouldnt show up in the laser beam anyway.
Grendel