Put that light out,’ plead locals near Brighton’s stadium

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Brian

Put that light out,’ plead locals near Brighton’s stadium

Post by Brian »

"Football club’s all-night glow is visible for miles … and keeps the birds awake"

"Residents in a south coast beauty spot are taking action against their local football club, saying its efforts to keep the pitch in tip-top condition through the winter are harming the ecosytem"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... night-glow
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

brian livesey

Re: Put that light out,’ plead locals near Brighton’s stadiu

Post by brian livesey »

An article in one of today's national newspapers says that glowworm numbers are falling, partly because light pollution is confusing them when looking for a mate.
brian

Brian

Post by Brian »

"It's worse than that Jim...."

The article I read said that fireflies are in danger of becoming extinct because of light pollution, although admitting that pesticides and loss of habitat are the most serious threats to them.
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Why is it the we all have pollution in the form of cars rammed down our throats daily yet noise and light are totally ignored.

Has anyone confronted such organizations to ask how many lights, what wattage and calculated the carbon footprint, SHAME them
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

scilover

Re: Put that light out,’ plead locals near Brighton’s stadium

Post by scilover »

I face this problem as well in my neighborhood as there is a big golf club nearby which shines their light throughout the night. It basically lights up the entire sky. I always wondered what kind of impact it could bring to the birds....