European Astrofest 2008

The place to leave details of astronomical attractions

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

S_Hawkins

European Astrofest 2008

Post by S_Hawkins »

Hi guys and gals,

Just wanted to know who was intending to go to astrofest next year. What are you looking forward to and will you simply browse the stalls or are you intending to buy something specific?

Sam
Sam Hawkins
SPA Council Member
Ian Ridpath

AstroFest 2008

Post by Ian Ridpath »

Dear Sam,

Since you mention it...

I am delighted to announce that Patrick Moore will be appearing at AstroFest in 2008. The dates are February 8–9 and the venue is, as usual, Kensington Town Hall (which now calls itself Kensington Conference and Events Centre). Other headline speakers include comet discoverer David Levy; the originators of GoogleSky, Alberto Conti and Carol Christian from the Space Telescope Science Institute; special effects wizard Mat Irvine; and the ever-present Allan Chapman. You can see the full programme and list of exhibitors and book tickets here: http://www.astronomynow.com/astrofest/.

Ian
Conference chairman

PS: Try taking Friday off, and come when it's not so busy!
billden

Post by billden »

I am intending to treat myself to some decent eyepieces this year, so Ian`s idea about going friday sounds like a good idea so I can get time to chat about my requirements. I was at last years astro fest on Saturday and it was packed. I wasn`t surprised though, with Patrick Moore in attendance. Amazing day that was!!
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi,
So frustrating when you want to attend something like this but is a bit out of reach if you live at the other end of the country(work times and travel arangements and accomodation can be a pain). Wonder if the Astronomy Now people would ever consider moving the Astrofest a bit further north once in a while ? :)

Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Davej wrote: Wonder if the Astronomy Now people would ever consider moving the Astrofest a bit further north once in a while ? :)
But a little earlier billden wrote:I was at last years astro fest on Saturday and it was packed.
'Nuff said, as they say. :wink:
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
Davej

Post by Davej »

joe wrote:
Davej wrote: Wonder if the Astronomy Now people would ever consider moving the Astrofest a bit further north once in a while ? :)
But a little earlier billden wrote:I was at last years astro fest on Saturday and it was packed.
'Nuff said, as they say. :wink:
Hi Joe,
Don"t quite get what you mean there. Maybe you missed my point. billdens location is a bit different to others (it"s not always easy to "nip" down to London on a Saturday :lol: )
Dave
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Just a joke, Dave. The Saturday event that billden was refering to was packed with people (and I've been there on many Saturdays so I know what he means). Would you change a venue that was packed year after year? It might be fairer to move it north occasionally but I wonder whether it would be as well attended... or rather, I'm sure Astronomy Now wonder whether it would be so well attended.
billden

Post by billden »

I do admit it`s only a couple of tube trains away, but I will be paying a train fare and entrance fee before I will be `shopping`. I could still quite easily purchase what I need through a website. That`s ok if you do not want to listen to the speakers in the conference hall though. Another Astrofest later in the year up north could keep everyone happy though :wink:
Davej

Post by Davej »

joe wrote:Just a joke, Dave. The Saturday event that billden was refering to was packed with people (and I've been there on many Saturdays so I know what he means). Would you change a venue that was packed year after year? It might be fairer to move it north occasionally but I wonder whether it would be as well attended... or rather, I'm sure Astronomy Now wonder whether it would be so well attended.
Hi,
Sorry Joe, I know it was a lighthearted reply you gave :) I didn"t intend my reply to sound as harsh as it looks :) .
Would be interesting to know what the AN people think about moving the venue tho ? I"m sure it would be well attended no matter where the venue was but that would only be proven when/if it happens and perhaps the AN people aren"t willing to take that risk I suppose, like you say..why change a winning formula :)
ATB
Dave
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

No problem, Dave. If the venue was moved then I'm sure there would be plenty of locals to take up any slack. :wink: I'll be struggling to make it this year but if they moved it to Glasgow, my home town, then I could fly direct from Paris for four euros! And satisfy my longing for a Pie Supper at the same time.
Davej

Post by Davej »

joe wrote:No problem, Dave. If the venue was moved then I'm sure there would be plenty of locals to take up any slack. :wink: I'll be struggling to make it this year but if they moved it to Glasgow, my home town, then I could fly direct from Paris for four euros! And satisfy my longing for a Pie Supper at the same time.
Hi Joe,
four euros :shock:
That wouldn"t buy your pie supper around here :lol:
All the best.
Dave
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
First Light Optics

Post by First Light Optics »

I shall be going, as a visitor.

Steve
gyro

Post by gyro »

Given the cost of accommodation in and around Kensington (My recent post under 'general chat' refers), here is an alternative venue for consideration.....similar prices but the location/music is better.. :P :P :P :P
Allow the clip to play for a min' or two for the Astro' connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPdTlHK1h_0
Regards.
Rosanella

Post by Rosanella »

S_Hawkins wrote:Hi guys and gals,

Just wanted to know who was intending to go to astrofest next year. What are you looking forward to and will you simply browse the stalls or are you intending to buy something specific?

Sam
We wil probably going on the day that Patrick Moore is going to be there. My daughter wants to see him, and I'd like to get an autograph on his latest book I bought Big Bang! ;) I wonder if Brian May and Chirs Lintott are going to be there?
I'll probably be going to one of the seminars too, but haven't quite decided which one.

gyro wrote:Given the cost of accommodation in and around Kensington (My recent post under 'general chat' refers), here is an alternative venue for consideration.....similar prices but the location/music is better.. :P :P :P :P
Allow the clip to play for a min' or two for the Astro' connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPdTlHK1h_0
Loved the video, and I've got the giggles now :D :D
A good voice and great guitar playing.

Rosanella
If we do not try, we will not know. (Ayya Khema)
8)
gyro

Post by gyro »

Rosanella wrote:
Loved the video, and I've got the giggles now :D :D
A good voice and great guitar playing.
Wouldn't it be great if a talented musician put some new Asto' words to "Space Oddity" or "Starman" and put them on the Tube. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Regards.