Peak Star Party 3

The place to leave details of astronomical attractions

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

PaulB

Peak Star Party 3

Post by PaulB »

For any body who is interested, the White Peak Astronomical Observing Group (WPAOG) are hosting the The Peak Star Party. This event is an annual Spring meeting and, this year because of it's popularity, they have decided to hold another event, this time in November. And it's called PSP3.

The dates are Thrusday November 16th, Friday 17th. And the main event day Saturday 18th.

To see more information you can go to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chuck2/

The event is being held at the Ravendale Caravan Park on the A515 near Alsop-en-le-Dale Derbyshire, mid way between Buxton and Ashbourne.

Regards
PaulB.

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

I note the essential equipment to avoid hypothermia listed on the site includes a teddy !! :)

Don't forget you can buy an SPA one to take with you :wink:

Seriously it is a real risk - it would be useful to be aware of the initial symptoms of hyperthermia both in yourself and others.

John Murrell
Engineer @ Work - Astronomer @ Play

PaulB

Post by PaulB »

JohnM wrote:I note the essential equipment to avoid hypothermia listed on the site includes a teddy !! :)

Don't forget you can buy an SPA one to take with you :wink:

Seriously it is a real risk - it would be useful to be aware of the initial symptoms of hyperthermia both in yourself and others.

John Murrell
Looky for me I live on the other side of the Cat and Fiddle in Macclesfield. So it's about a 45 min drive for me to the Campsite. I've still not ruled out buying a small tent to take with me. And staying over on Friday night. I have a pitch booked so I might as well the make the most of it.

I agree with you John. It will be cold at night if it's clear and frosty. I don't think it's wise to fill your self up with Alcohol before you go to bed ether. I seem to rember that alcohol can lower your body temperature at night (correct me if I am wrong). The advice is very welcome and, hopefully it shouldn't spoil the event for an unlucky astronomer who doesn't have the correct Warm clothing with him.

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

There is a list of the symptoms on NHS direct at http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... onId=13139. As PaulB said alcohol is one of the worst things you can take. You are far better to burn it on your fire :!:

The real danger is anyone who is not being observed by another person - you can go from the shivering state to the acute stage of not shivering and appear to drop off to sleep. You have to be very careful how you warm the person up - the aim is to warm the core of the body without warming the arms and legs else the blood rushes into the limbs and that can be fatal. Of course the risk is much higher if you are wet and it is windy.

John Murrell
Engineer @ Work - Astronomer @ Play

joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Has anyone ever heard or read a report of anyone suffering from (acute) hypothermia while observing. Has anyone ever died from amateur astronomy. (I don't wish to hi-jack the thread therefore I've started a new one in General Chat)
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.