It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:36 pm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:23 pm 

I've been asked by the IoP to post details of these two events which will be of interest to SPA members. (Please don't ask me about them because I am not the organiser -- the contact email is given below).

FREE evening lectures:
The Institute of Physics, 76 Portland Place, London W1B 1NT MAP
Start time: 1830 (coffee available from 1800)

Wednesday 14 April 2010
Starbursts - the juicy sweets of the universe
Dr Mark Westmoquette, UCL

Modern astronomy is concerned with understanding the evolution of the Universe. Stars are one of the primary drivers of this change, and one of the most dramatic ways of creating new stars is through a starburst. I will discuss how starbursts are defined, where they are found, what they are made of, and what consequences they have for their host galaxies and the Universe as a whole. I will end by describing some of the work I have been doing in this field.

Wednesday 26 May 2010
Cosmic Rays and Climate - and other matters
Professor Sir Arnold Wolfendale, Durham University

Cosmic rays provide one of the main sources of ionization in the atmosphere and might,thus, have an effect on cloud formation and, thereby, atmospheric temperature. Furthermore, they may have relevance to the well-known problem with the initiation of lightning, by way of the arrival of dense extensive air shower cores. The study includes an examination of the 11-year cycle of cloud cover, radon, nuclear bombs and the Chernobyl disaster. Forbush decreases in the cosmic ray flux are also studied, as well a the possibility of seeing 'cigar-shaped-clouds' coming from air showers. A brief mention will be made of the role of past very high fluxes of high energy cosmic rays, a billion years ago, and consequent lightning, in the formation of life! Finally, the basic physics behind 'Climate Change' is discussed.

Admission is FREE and open to non-members but please register beforehand by sending an email to Londonsoutheast@physics.org

--
IoP London and South East branch evening lectures. For more information please visit tinyurl.com/448p6g.

14 Apr
Starbursts: the juicy sweets of the universe
Dr Mark Westmoquette
UCL

28 Apr
Expanding the Frontiers of Neutron Science
Dr Andrew Taylor
Director, ISIS pulsed neutron and muon source, RAL

12 May
How to keep a good woman down
Prof. Averill MacDonald
Reading University