Earl's Court Festival (London): Astronomy event

The place to leave details of astronomical attractions

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Rosanella

Earl's Court Festival (London): Astronomy event

Post by Rosanella »

Since it is International Year of Astronomy, I thought of organising an Astronomy event for our local festival, the Earl's Court Festival. It is the first time that I organise an event, so please have mercy :roll: :)

Location: Mosaic Rooms, Tower House, 226 Cromwell Road, London SW5 9EZ, www.qattanfoundation.org

Date: Monday 13th July 2009,

Events:

2.30pm - 3.30pm - "Where Astronomy and Art meet", by Dr Barry Kellett.
What is the bright "star" in van Gogh's 'The White House'?
What is the truly amazing story of Edvard Munch's painting "The Scream" ?.
"When did the written history of Britain begin - precisely, to the day AND the hour?
Come and discover how astronomers are able to identify the object in question.
Barry Kellet, C1XS Instrument Scientist of Science and Technology Facilities Council, will unveil the REAL story behind the paintings using astronomical information.

*£3 per person (children go FREE) - BSL translator available*

4pm - 5pm - "Night Light or Night Blight?", by Bob Mizon.
Bob Mizon, author of Light Pollution: Responses and Remedies and Stargazers' Almanac: Monthly Guide to the Stars and Planets, Coordinator of the British Astronomical Association's Campaign for Dark Skies,
will speak on "Night Light or Night Blight?", describing how light pollution costs all of us money and the (often unseen) effect it has on our lives. How can we can save energy, money and the stars with good-quality lighting?

*£3 per person(children go FREE) - BSL translator available*

3.30pm - 5.30pm Calling all young Astronomers!!! - come along to Look up! Touch the Stars! ... to learn about the Universe, the Solar System and Constellations and draw your own Solar System. Everyone who attends the session will be given a FREE CD about the Solar System and a set of constellations cards kindly donated by the SPA, the Society for Popular Astronomy (***Thank you SPA :-) *** ).
***Please note that this is an indoor event and there will be absolutely no observations made by unaided eye, binoculars, telescope (or by any other means) during the day. Sunlight is very harmful to your eyes! (Children must be accompanied.)

*FREE - suggested donation £3 - BSL translator available
N.B. There are limited seats for each talk (70 max), so please send me a PM to book for a place as soon as possible.

The Earls' Court Festival website is being re-designed but it should go live soon -- we're all volunteers :-) ---, so I will update with further details.
Last edited by Rosanella on Fri May 15, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosanella
If we do not try, we will not know. (Ayya Khema)
8)
gyro

Post by gyro »

Well done and best wishes for the event.
Rosanella

Post by Rosanella »

gyro wrote:Well done and best wishes for the event.
Thank you! :-)

Rosanella
8)
Rosanella

Post by Rosanella »

Quick update:

The Earl's Court Festival has now set up a box office and is taking bookings over the phone between 1am and 5pm, Monday to Friday calling 020 7370 0015
You need to quote the name of the event 'Look up! Touch the stars!...' , the Astronomy event (there are about 35 different events taking place).

Please send me a PM if you encounter any difficulties in booking of the phone.

Thank you and clear skies!

Rosanella
8)
Rosanella

Post by Rosanella »

Hello Everyone :)

Just to let you know that the Earl's Court Festival website is now up and running and tickets can be bought directly from the site

http://www.eccf.org.uk/Home.html

Thank you

Rosanella

Rosanella
8)
Rosanella

Post by Rosanella »

Update:

Astronomer Colin Stuart of the Royal Observatory Greenwich will be passing on his love of Astronomy at the children event :)

Rosanella
8)
clinnt

Post by clinnt »

Best wishes :) I'm sure that will be a success! :)
StarGazer

Post by StarGazer »

Rosanella wrote:Hello Everyone :)

Just to let you know that the Earl's Court Festival website is now up and running and tickets can be bought directly from the site

http://www.eccf.org.uk/flashlight

Thank you

Rosanella
Rosanella,

I am having issues with this site, were you forced to take it down? I would be very interested in taking a look if maybe it were moved or something to that effect. Please let me know. Thank you.