It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 3:19 am

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:23 pm 

A number of Astronomical Societies have moved their meetings online so are now open to all to watch and in some cases take part in.

Nottingham AS are meeting tonight (2nd April 2020) at 20:00
Edinburgh AS are meeting tomorrow at 19:30
Brighton Astro are meeting on the 14th April at 19:30, interestingly their audience doubled at their first on-line meeting a week ago. Up from approaching 60 to over 100.

Reading AS have also gone virtual but you need to email them to join to get access.

Some of the 'professional' meetings such as Dot Astro & AAS June meeting have said they are going virtual.

There are probably others it's a rapidly evolving situation. A internet search on 'Virtual Astronomy Meetings' should produce these results and others.

Enjoy !

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:34 am 

Since my last post the number of Astronomical Societies holding virtual meetings has increased rapidly so there is not room to list them here and it would soon be out of date.

One of the interesting things is how wide the audience is for some of the talks - I was watching one last night where viewers were not only from Scotland where it was based but from New Zealand, America and Europe.

Most societies seem to be using Zoom with in some cases a parallel YouTube feed. The paid version is around £13 per month which is a bargain compared to room hire.

As I mentioned in my previous post several of the professional meetings are now going virtual - this allows access from anywhere and you don't have to pay additional travel and accommodation costs.

One that may be of interest to SPA members is the virtual meeting of The European Astronomical Society who are meeting from the 29th June to the 3rd July. See https://eas.unige.ch/EAS2020/index.jsp registration is 80 Euros for 5 days or 50 Euros for one day. The outline programme is at https://eas.unige.ch/EAS2020/program.jsp. It follows a similar pattern to that of the joint meeting with the RAS in 2018 in Liverpool. One of the big challenges with the physical meeting is deciding which of the 11 parallel sessions to attend. In the virtual world this is easier as the recordings of all the sessions will be available to those who register for a month giving you the opportunity to see what happened in other sessions.

As virtual conferences are still new in the Astronomy world it will be interesting to see how they replicate the over coffee & lunch chats. Depending on how many people I know attend I am thinking of hosting a zoom chat during the coffee breaks.

Hope to 'see' you there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:16 pm 

Thanks John, it's interesting to hear of these virtual meetings. i haven't attended an astronomy related one yet, but I shall keep my eye open to see if their is one of interest to me.

Best wishes, Jeff.