It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:09 am 

It has come to my attention through being a member of on line forums that there is a MARKED lack of any information for people in Wales regarding SAFE viewing.

I have Aspergers and Adult ADHD, and hate going out alone, even to the back garden

There are also many people on the forums who want to go out and view.

However whilst there are dark sky sites in Wales there do not appear to be any where people meet on a regular basis and take their scopes, where there may be a place for refreshments

Is this right.

ANY help would be appreciated because there are many many hundreds of people wanting to do Astronomy and NO opportunity for them to, I for example live in Llandysul, you tell me where my nearest club is, Swansea.........................

It would be nice if there were a site can I suggest you look up this

http://www.spacegazer.com/

I was a member when I lived there and still am, even when NOT in use people could go to the site and know it was SAFE, and that is another point.

It is all very well saying go to "X" at so and so which may well turn out to be a car park in a reserve, but no thought is given to how people will see it as a dark, open, scary car park.

Finally not everyone can afford £50 for a session such as on some sites sites (http://gostargazing.co.uk/), I am on a £97 week pension with a 23 year old also Autistic son who would like to come along

Thank you

Jeremy Rundle

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:11 am 

Jeremy, there doesn't seem to be a satisfying solution. Perhaps you could post a note on the forum in advance of any visit you fancy making and ask if anyone is willing to "buddy up", share transport costs, or arrange to meet at a precise time at an agreed location. Sorry if this sounds a bit glib and it's probably only useful if you're going to a reasonably well attended event. As far as local outings go it's not easy. I don't have these conditions but I can relate to going to some deserted car parks near meetings, as if it's not dispiriting enough going there on one's own! Enthusiasts seem to be thinner on the ground these days. I can appreciate the problem in Wales. Kind thoughts, Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:57 pm 

Jeremy, have a look at Stargazers Lounge. Under "Social Groups and Observatories" there is a section for a "South Wales Group" who arrange observing sessions etc.
Maybe what you are looking for,

Regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:31 pm 

Many thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:49 pm 

Likely to depend where in Wales you are, I didn't see a location, equally I didn't search very deeply either.

I think one of the universities around Cardiff or Newport holds sessions with a local club.
Otherwise this is likely the most direct source for clubs:
http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Counties.aspx

Some are a little out of date so check details.
FAS has a similar list but they altered the ordering, theirs is alphabetical and it means you need to know where the place, town or village or area, is know if it is relevant.
http://fedastro.org.uk/fas/members/members-a-z/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:31 am 

M54 wrote:
Likely to depend where in Wales you are, I didn't see a location, equally I didn't search very deeply either.

I think one of the universities around Cardiff or Newport holds sessions with a local club.
Otherwise this is likely the most direct source for clubs:
http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Counties.aspx

Some are a little out of date so check details.
FAS has a similar list but they altered the ordering, theirs is alphabetical and it means you need to know where the place, town or village or area, is know if it is relevant.
http://fedastro.org.uk/fas/members/members-a-z/

Sorry, SOUTH (Llandysul) and thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:58 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
The main problem of holding observing anywhere in the UK is the unreliable weather. Since we started the Foredown Tower Astronomy Group in Portslade in the 1997 in the old watertower and until it tranfered to a different site and "management" as Foredown Tower Astronomers, one was lucky to get one clear meeting in six months. I think conditions are probably even worse now. Although this is very problematic for people who do not want to observe alone at dark and distant sites, for many reasons, regular observing at such sites is unpredictable in the extreme and quite unrealistic in my opinion. Also not everyone has "transport" - I do not. The key to observing is to grab the moment, grab the opporunity, grab the targets that interest you when they are available to you near to your home. One really does need to "cut the suit to suit the cloth" (I think is the old saying).
(I understand that this does not help Jeremy with his Asperger problem but I am somehat that way, as are many skilled amateur observers. For me, however, being "trapped by too many people" crowding round is enough to make me just want to leave or not-go-there in the first place. ) regards maf