Meade LXd55 Schmidt-Newtonian for sale

Advertise your unwanted astronomical equipment here. Commercial ads will be removed

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

Muscipula

Meade LXd55 Schmidt-Newtonian for sale

Post by Muscipula »

The telescope is 6" or 8", I have not had a chance to see it but I have some images of it here.

Here you see it in it's dedicated portable bag.

The mount.

The automatic GOTO controller that can also be controlled by a computer.

Scope set up with decent guider scope.

Note the holding place that the controller sits in out of the way.

This telescope belonged to the late Fred Whittle who was the chairman of the Swansea Astronomical Society. He was also one of the founding members of the West Wales Astronomy Group.

His son Sean wishes to sell this scope and is asking for 500 pounds, or nearest offer.

Please message me on this board if you are interested.

Andrew Sprott
The universe is out there, all you need to do is see if for yourself.
gary1968

Post by gary1968 »

Weirdest looking Schmidt Newt I have ever seen........ :?

Gary
56N / 3.5W
HEQ5 Pro. Skywatcher ED80, William Optics Field Flattener III, Canon 1000d - Imaging Rig. Guided with Orion 8x50 & QHY5.
Control Via Ascom, EQMod, Cartes du Ciel and PHD.
Everything will be OK in the end, if its not OK, its not the end..............
Muscipula

Post by Muscipula »

Actually I got that specification from the web. I do know that it is a retractor, specifics like the design slip the mind.

Sorry about the confusion.

If you search for the model, you might get more info than I managed. I will try to get the manual and include the details.

Andrew
DRiley

Post by DRiley »

Muscipula wrote:Actually I got that specification from the web. I do know that it is a retractor, specifics like the design slip the mind.

If you search for the model, you might get more info than I managed. I will try to get the manual and include the details.

Andrew
:lol: a fine Newtonian Retractor Reflectortractor
I ALWAYS GIVE 100% AT WORK:12% Monday, 23% Tuesday, 40% Wednesday, 20% Thursday & 5% Friday
LeoLion

Post by LeoLion »

Hi Andrew , To be constuctive/helpful I think the scope may be a 5" refractor model . Here is a link to a review of what I think it may be on Cloudy Nights http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=751 . I have not yet found a manual but you may find one ( Meade Instruments LXD55 AR-5 Refractor ) by searching on MAPUG or MAPUG Archives.
Hope this is a help :D
Len E
Muscipula

Post by Muscipula »

DRiley wrote:
Muscipula wrote:Actually I got that specification from the web. I do know that it is a retractor, specifics like the design slip the mind.

Andrew
:lol: a fine Newtonian Retractor Reflectortractor
Well, it uses tractor beams then don't it, hehe

Thanks for the advice though, I will download the manual from Meades web-site. Also please note, although Fred was a proliferant active astronomer, he never really had many opportunities to use this scope. It really is in pristine condition.

And the software that Steve Wainwright and I have worked on, in particular NTC which can work alongside Cartes de Ceil will control this scope, over any network, including the internet.

find the gear at

http://www.westwalesastronomy.co.uk

Andrew