Perseverance has landed

Hubble, probes to the planets etc

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Perseverance has landed

Post by brian livesey »

The spacecraft appears to have had a flawless landing and is already sending back pictures of the landing site. There’s still much to do in deploying the rover sampler and also the little “copter” for taking airborne pictures of the dried up delta and lakebed.
It remains to be seen how successful China’s landing of its own lander and sampler rover will be. In some respects this is a more interesting mission in that it’s China’s very first attempt to put a lander on Mars and, ambitiously, with a roving sampler too. If successful, we can only wonder how much publicity the West will give it, compared to the attention lavished on NASA.
brian
Kay Burton

Re: Perseverance has landed

Post by Kay Burton »

This is great news! It is very interesting what discoveries await us, whether theories about the existence of life on Mars, at least traces of it, will be confirmed. This will be a good argument in favor of the fact that not only our planet is inhabited. Even if these are the simplest forms of life in the universe, but this inspires optimism.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
SunsetTwilight

Post by SunsetTwilight »

So exciting

I can't wait to see what it brings now in the months to come.
Cooper458

Post by Cooper458 »

I try not to miss any NASA updates, and about a week ago, the rover made its first drive!! :D It's a significant event for this mission, even though some people don't consider it important. Landing a rover is only half of the battle. Now engineers are sure that Perseverance is fully operational. The only more thing that is left to understand whether this mission is successful or not is the investigation results. However, for me, as for avid space enthusiast, getting high-resolution images is already a victory :o.
Eva Braun

Post by Eva Braun »

You can check Perseverance rover location here
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/missi...-is-the-rover/
Charlotte Bridge

Post by Charlotte Bridge »

Unfortunately the page doesn't exist anymore ;( but I found another one, I think they just updated its location
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/ ... the-rover/
There you can even track its route. Amazing1
Brian

Post by Brian »

Its reported that Ingenuity 'copter has had a "glitch" but landed safely:

https://astronomynow.com/2021/05/31/mar ... f01d50547c
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
leon85

Post by leon85 »

Hi there) I am the new member of this forum and I am really happy to join. A lot of interesting pieces of news have been discussed on this thread. I`d like to share some interestng information about the Perseverance mission. NASA is about to use Ingenuity, which has spent $ 80 million in development, to explore areas that a six-wheeled rover cannot reach, as well as to create 3D maps of the planet’s surface and solve other scientific problems. The purpose of the rover’s mission is to try to find traces of possible existence in the distant past of life on Mars.
leon85

Post by leon85 »

Another interesting piece of news about the Perseverance rover mission. The Curiosity Mars rover had managed to collect 32 Martian rock samples by using a drill attached to robotic arm. Pereverance rovere mission still keeps searching for signs of past life on the red planet by analyzing the chemical, mineral, physical and organic characteristics of the rocks.
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Thanks for sharing this info Leon, welcome to the forum. Kind thoughts Bob