Persevering with Mars

Hubble, probes to the planets etc

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Persevering with Mars

Post by brian livesey »

Today, NASA will be hoping, if not on a wing then on a prayer, that it’s Perseverance Mars lander will make a successful touch-down on the Red Planet. The whole process has to be precisely choreographed, if one operating procedure fails, so does the entire mission.
The final procedures will be a landing by parachute,which NASA says is the strongest parachute ever made and by a UK textile company, then by tethers. The UK Space Agency has donated £400,000 to the project.
The Perseverance rover will collect core samples that will be stored in tubes, ready for collection and returned to the International Space Station in the early 2030s. The rover - a scientific laboratory - is the size of a car and is due to touch down in the 28 miles diameter Jezero Crater, that has sediments of an ancient river delta.
brian
SunsetTwilight

Re: Persevering with Mars

Post by SunsetTwilight »

It has landed and we have first images. It won't let me upload send one.
Attachments
IMG_20210218_212749_285.jpg
IMG_20210218_212749_285.jpg (83.36 KiB) Viewed 483 times
Charlotte Bridge

Re: Persevering with Mars

Post by Charlotte Bridge »

That is the great day for humanity! Recently we also have watched the first drone flight on Mars and I can not hide my admiration for this event. Looking forward for the results exploring hard-to-reach places such as rocks or hollows. As far as I know there were three flight already and the last one lasted 80 seconds at the limit of 90 seconds (due to limited battery power). This time, the drone rose to a height of five meters, after which it flew off to the side by 50 meters. It is expected that the obtained data will help scientists assess the possibility of using such drones in the future for the exploration of Mars or Titan.
Amazing :shock: