SpaceX launches record-setting cluster of smallsats

Hubble, probes to the planets etc

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

SunsetTwilight

SpaceX launches record-setting cluster of smallsats

Post by SunsetTwilight »

A SpaceX Falcon 9 launched 143 small satellites for a wide range of customers Jan. 24 on the company’s first dedicated rideshare mission, a service that poses a competitive threat to emerging small launch vehicles.

The Falcon 9 lifted off from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida at 10 a.m. Eastern, a launch delayed one day by poor weather. The first stage, making its fifth launch after being previously used for NASA and commercial launches, landed on a droneship off the northern coast of Cuba.

The rocket’s second stage started deploying satellites 59 minutes after liftoff into sun-synchronous orbits, a process that took more than a half-hour to complete. The 143 satellites on what SpaceX called the Transporter-1 mission were the most deployed on a single launch, breaking the record of 104 set by an Indian Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) mission in February 2017.

https://spacenews.com/spacex-launches-r ... smallsats/
Eva Braun

Re: SpaceX launches record-setting cluster of smallsats

Post by Eva Braun »

An anti-reflective coating applied to some newer satellites in SpaceX’s Starlink constellation reduces their overall reflectivity by half but is less effective at certain wavelengths – meaning that ground-based astronomical observations are still being impaired by satellites passing through the telescope’s field of view.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Whether the new Caesar at Washington will take steps to control the mass launching of satellites remains to be see. It’s probably unlikely that Biden will, there’s big money involved.
brian
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

I gather it is humans destiny to conquer the Universe, perhaps even the Multi-verse . However, I think it may take another year or so to complete the job.
from Cliff
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

:lol:
brian
Cooper458

Post by Cooper458 »

The huge number of benefits of satellites makes me forgive the light pollution they cause. We used to think that satellites are used mainly to provide Internet and TV, but we forget about the more important things. I mean our environment. It's impossible to give up satellites, at least because they help us save our environment, predict natural disasters, and help people. If there are people who advocate for minimizing the number of sats, they must get acquainted with the article I came across recently "Use of Satellite Technology for Disaster Management and Relief". It made me change my opinion as for many things, find a few minutes to read it, please.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Many thousands of satellites are planned for launch. This is ludicrous. Many of them will operate for the advertising industry and other business reasons. It won’t be long before there are flashing billboards up there to go with the satellite hordes.
brian
leon85

Post by leon85 »

Till September 2021 Space X is gonna cover whole planet with Starlink internet connection and it`s gonna launch 42 thousand of satellites. The big number of Starlink satellites will be sent to the orbit with the help of Starship.
leon85

Post by leon85 »

Also, Musk announced that Starlink satellites will have a special self disposal feature in order not to increase the number of spce debris. To clarify it, these satellites will be able to lead themself to the atmosphere of Earth where they can just burn down.
mikemarotta

Post by mikemarotta »

Cooper458 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:20 pm ... It's impossible to give up satellites, at least because they help us save our environment, ... Use of Satellite Technology for Disaster Management and Relief...
Thanks, Coop! For India, in particular, it is more effective to launch communications satellites than to lay cables across deserts, jungles, and mountains.

We do not want light pollution but we want the industrial society that makes possible the cheap, powerful instruments for our hobby.
Michael E. Marotta
Explore Scientific 102 mm Refractor
National Geographic 70 mm Refractor
Ploessl oculars 40mm to 6mm 2X Barlow
mike49mercury@gmail.com
Lariliss

Post by Lariliss »

Space X satellites (including Starlink) rush should be differentiated from other launch increases. As it has the purpose of wide coverage roll out. And there is no other way than to launch lots. This means that the data is delivered to where it is really needed. It wouldn’t be correct to name the internet's primary aim as a hobby. And it is not about cheapness, but about possible in observable time or even just possible at all.

The goal is set and approved, permission is there, and we should be able to receive yearly published audit results (for any satellite launched).

That is the fact, Starlink is pushing the events and causes.
Space junk is the hazard problem that has been there for decades, and nowadays with the space exploration boost only we try to surpass it.

20k+ junk pieces are already there, and should not stop important missions, including the Earth surveillance (as number 1, might be said). These orbiting useless pieces should be removed in any case.

Space X themselves announce debris removal experiments, NASA & ESA are going to partner on this kind of global issues, private companies with steadily developed new technology are on it also.
Number, Letter, Note: Know, Think, Dream.
mikemarotta

Post by mikemarotta »

Lariliss wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:51 pm... As it has the purpose of wide coverage roll out. And there is no other way than to launch lots. This means that the data is delivered to where it is really needed. ... Space X themselves announce debris removal experiments, NASA & ESA are going to partner on this kind of global issues, private companies with steadily developed new technology are on it also.
Thanks.

I accept satellite constellations on the same basis that I accept the Moon and Jupiter and even general light pollution.

As an amateur astronomer, I am happy to see strings of satellites passing overhead in the night sky. They are the consequence of thoughtful foresight and careful planning. They express mentality, spirituality, and materiality. They are evidence of human intelligence in the universe.
Michael E. Marotta
Explore Scientific 102 mm Refractor
National Geographic 70 mm Refractor
Ploessl oculars 40mm to 6mm 2X Barlow
mike49mercury@gmail.com
Lariliss

Post by Lariliss »

Thank you, Michael, mikemarotta.
AS long as there is the tendency and ambıtions the situation will change, and space junk utilization will be a usual thing as utilizing washing machines.
Also not to forget, that not only any amateur astronomers, important space observation telescopes data is affected.
Between having a nice photo of Jupiter and losing data and control and wasting all effort, I am also happy to choose strings of satellites, which are less dangerous to fall onto my head.
Every spiritual strive might go back to reality from time to time.
Number, Letter, Note: Know, Think, Dream.