The Far Side of the Moon

Hubble, probes to the planets etc

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Cliff

The Far Side of the Moon

Post by Cliff »

The Andromeda Galaxy M31 Motorway maybe about Sixty Eight Thousand Billion miles long. However, when I was a youngster & "discovered" M31, I thought it was only 30,000,000,000,000,
Only recently I've dreamed about getting an electric car. But nightmares revealed driving to M31 would need 228 million charging points on route. A hybrid car might need less charging points but several million petrol filling stations too. Furthermore our government may introduce a mileage driving tax , although perhaps not applicable to journeys made outside the UK ?
Ironically since M31's estimated distance doubled sometime around World War 2, it's been decided M31 is getting closer to Earth & eventually we could collide. Even if Earth survived an M31 crash our current happy relationship with our Sun might end.
So forget M31, I might just try my luck digging for gold on the far side of the Moon.
Best of luck from Cliff
PS - even diving to the far side of the Moon might need quite a few electric charging points.
brian livesey

Re: The Far Side of the Moon

Post by brian livesey »

Many of the general public probably don't realise just how far away some of the planets of our solar system are. If, for example, we could drive to Jupiter at a steady speed of 60 mph, it would take 800 years to arrive there. As a lifelong cyclist, it would take me quite a bit longer, I'd have a beard trailing a few miles long behind me.
The planetary probe close-up images of the planets, reinforces the idea in the public's mind that they are not all that far away.
brian
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Thanks Brian.
I personally think most space journeys would be tremendously boring.
Best of luck from Cliff
Charlotte Bridge

Post by Charlotte Bridge »

Well. I agree that some people can misunderstand distances in space as they can have wrong vision of that. Thank you for great comparison with journey to Jupiter with 60 mph, Brian :) Still, my fantasy and all sci-fi books I read and movies/videos I watched - give me hope that one day interstellar journeys will be possible. For example by means of cryo-sleep? :) What is gold mining on Moon concerned - soon we will find out is it posssible I guess
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

It’s fascinating to think of these distances compared to something more down to earth (pun intended).

I suppose, on the plus side, there’s already a Tesla in space ready and waiting for you, Cliff. Didn’t Mr Musk send one up there? I think there’s even a driver installed in the car too, although the conversation may be a bit one-sided.

Imagine the service bill though, never mind the charging points. It wouldn’t, of course, be the cost of the parts, it would be the labour, guv :wink:

The possibility of interstellar journeys is equally fascinating. I wonder if the human race will survive to that point of development?

Best wishes, Jeff.
Lariliss

Post by Lariliss »

By far the fastest manned mission was 58,536 km/h.
Being fascinated by distances and projecting them to the speed of ground used vehicles, the Moon nearest mission (ARTEMIS) gives the most promises.
Since it this encouraging broadening horizons, till then fuel/acceleration approaches will bring different calculations.
Till that time the best trajectory and start time to Jupiter might be pointed out.
And the space travel might be enforced with charging stations on the path. With food markets.

More inspiration comes after detailed dive to 'cosmic distances'.
Number, Letter, Note: Know, Think, Dream.