Chang'e-3 to the Moon

Hubble, probes to the planets etc

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Chang'e-3 to the Moon

Post by brian livesey »

China's first lunar rover attempt that was launched on Monday ( local time ) is expected to reach the Moon in early December. The Target area is Sinus Iridum. More details here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25178299 .
Last edited by brian livesey on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
brian

stella

Re: Chang'e-3 to the Moon

Post by stella »

cgdtaylor

Post by cgdtaylor »

brian livesey wrote:China's first lunar rover attempt that was launched on Monday ( local time ) is expected to reach the Moon in early December. The Target area is Sinus Iridum. More details here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25178299 .
The Chinese coverage reminded me of the 1968 Apollo mission that orbited the Moon for something like 20 hours at Christmastide. Now that dates me!

I have to say the discussions and explanations were almost of a Patrick Moore standard. Certainly they were in no way dumbed down with detailed technical explanations offered. I suspect future western space expeditions would be more focussed on the sensational and the cosy.

brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

It's a pity to see countries using labour and resources to replicate what others did decades ago. How different it would be if there was a consolidated global space effort.
That lies in the future when humankind will, hopefully, have unified the entire planet.. .
brian

brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

The lunar rover "Jade Rabbit" has ceased to function. One reason given for the breakdown is high temperatures.
One earlier report claimed that the rover had the potential to trundle about the lunar surface for thirty years.
brian

David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

This is quite normal for Chinese electrical goods :D .

Regards, David

brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

:lol: :lol:
brian

brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

A Radio 3 report this morning said that the rover is on the move again, but not expected to last long.
brian

David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

. They should send somebody up to fix it.
Do the RAC have a branch in China?

Regards David

brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Why don't you volunteer to go and fix it David? It might only need a sharp kick :wink: .
brian

David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

I might just do that, Brian. I used to work as a car recovery man when young.

We have had a storm lasting about 24 hours which is one of the longest periods of high winds I can remember.
But the three pigeons in the Oak tree seemed to sleep through it last night somehow clinging on to the waving branches. two of them are a couple who sleep there most nights and the other one seems single and occasionally sleeps 10 foot above them.
We also now have a slightly upmarket Sainsbury's bag stuck to the branch.
Loads of fences down but I couldn't see any more uprooted trees.

Amazingly, I just saw three protected unaided eyes sunspots with certainty. I don't often see that although they were all small.

Regards David