The Day They Launched A Woodpecker

Hubble, probes to the planets etc

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Post Reply
JerryStone
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:22 pm
Contact:

The Day They Launched A Woodpecker

Post by JerryStone »

I am giving a presentation on July 15 at 6:30 at the Royal Institution, London.
It is "an alternative history of space exploration", comprising some of the many stories that I have collected over the years, yet all of them - no matter how weird - are completely true!
Did you know that America once sent 50 elephants to the Moon?
Or that Wernher von Braun personally set a record for circling the Earth?
How about the lunar fork-lift? or the Zambian manned lunar landing programme?
The title story, "The Day They Launched A Woodpecker", tells of one of the more bizarre events to take place at Cape Canaveral.
To register for this free event, go to www.ile-events.org.uk
Contact me for public presentations and workshops for schools on astronomy and space.

RL Astro
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Post by RL Astro »

JerryStone wrote:I am giving a presentation on July 15 at 6:30 at the Royal Institution, London.
It is "an alternative history of space exploration", comprising some of the many stories that I have collected over the years, yet all of them - no matter how weird - are completely true!
Did you know that America once sent 50 elephants to the Moon?
Or that Wernher von Braun personally set a record for circling the Earth?
How about the lunar fork-lift? or the Zambian manned lunar landing programme?
The title story, "The Day They Launched A Woodpecker", tells of one of the more bizarre events to take place at Cape Canaveral.
To register for this free event, go to www.ile-events.org.uk
Think you're getting the words "true" and "false" mixed up there pal.

JerryStone
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:22 pm
Contact:

Post by JerryStone »

RL Astro wrote: Think you're getting the words "true" and "false" mixed up there pal.
Not at all. That's what makes the talk so amazing. The stories also include the rocket that was given a knighthood, Guenter Wendt's Trophy Trout, how Myrtle flew on all the early Shuttle flights, and more! And yes, they are all true. Don't believe me? Then book yourself a seat for June 15, or contact me to arrange a booking of "The Day They Launched A Woodpecker".
Contact me for public presentations and workshops for schools on astronomy and space.

Davej
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:12 pm
Location: Sheffield (53° 21' N 1° 12' W)
Contact:

Post by Davej »

Hi,
Confused :wink:
I have the greatest respect for Jerry, he has written some really interesting articles in the SPA's PA magazine and he has done many presentations over the years on astronomy and space travel.
Obviously the latest presentation is a play on words but I would be very interested in seeing one of his presentations.
All the best.
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam

JerryStone
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:22 pm
Contact:

Post by JerryStone »

Davej wrote: Obviously the latest presentation is a play on words but I would be very interested in seeing one of his presentations.
All the best.
Dave
Actually the title is not a play on words. It refers to a rather bizarre event at Cape Canaveral which is commemorated at the launch complex in question. And it is not about the woodpecker that pecked away at the Shuttle's External Tank.
As I said, all the stories really are true, including the one about British Rail's flying saucer ...

You really need to see this sometime. You can find more information about it on my website.

Regards,
Jerry
Contact me for public presentations and workshops for schools on astronomy and space.

Post Reply