It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:18 pm 

Dear Tony
Thanks for your input.
I first saw the Bullet Cluster image a few months back.
I note the "observation" is produced by combining the results of several different observatories (presumably based on he consensus of cosmologists\astronomers of like mind - I cannt help wondering if others might interpret things differently).
Dark matter is highlighted blue (how was the evidence accumulatated and how was the blue provided -image enhancement or the suspected volume\area\material artificially simulated ?).
The more recent "dark matter ring" is another interesting artifact (not necessarily an imaging fault problem but also not necessarily conclusively dark matter either ?
As for gravitational lensing and the cmb I sometimes think cosmologists interpretations of the observations\images may be stretch too far.
A few years ago I attended a lecture by a well known cosmologist.
He displayed a photo of NGC 53 and described it as M31.
That said a lot to me, perhaps my conclusions are wrong but I don't take anything for granted.
Best wishes from Cliff

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:15 pm 

Cliff wrote:
Dark matter is highlighted blue (how was the evidence accumulatated and how was the blue provided -image enhancement or the suspected volume\area\material artificially simulated ?).

The 'blue' merely marks the location of the dark matter based on the measurements of the gravitational lensing it has caused.
(obviously if it really did glow blue, it would be a lot easier to detect ! )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:34 pm 

Dear Tony
Many thanks again.
I thought something of the sort that you tell us was likely the case but it wasn't made very clear to me in the three or four renderings renderings of the image I have so far seen.
Perhaps cosmology isn't really a suitable subject for the likes of me.
However, in my capacity as "a Jack of most trades" amateur astronomer I think I have a right to dabble where I please.
Best wishes from Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:45 pm 

Dear al(L)
I have just bought Prof Cox's new BBC publication book "Wonders of the Universe".
Early days yet, I've only read the introductory bits.
However, from what I have picked up so far - it seems nice easy reading and I particularly like it (at least so far because Prof Cox doesn't seem to simply preach that modern cosmology knows "all" the answers which I feel some modern cosmologists seem to rather dogmatically say).
Best wishes from Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:10 pm 

Dear al
Astronomy Now (April) Dr Alan Longstaff "Can tweaking gravity make dark matter go away ?" is an interesting article.
Considering that since it seems to me that the majority of astronomers apparently favour the idea of Dark Matter as opposed to MOND, Dr Longstaff's article seems to suggest MOND is far from dead.
Indeed if my feeling that most astronomers favour the Dark Matter idea then they will tend to be prejudiced to swaying most research towards proving the existence of Dark Matter and so MOND might be unfairly being neglected (?).
Best wishes from Cliff