big bang theory made by idiots?

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Post Reply
Dan76
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:48 pm
Contact:

big bang theory made by idiots?

Post by Dan76 »

The theory of the big bang makes no sense for a number of reasons.

1- Once something starts moving in space it does not stop unless it hits something, therefore if this theory were true then we would be shooting off into space

2- There couldnt of been an explosion as there is no oxegyn in space

3- gases could not create planets or anything

4- where would the gases come from

5- they cant be just there

6- which also proves that evolution doesn't hold true
davep
Posts: 2814
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 11:07 am
Location: South Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: big bang theory made by idiots?

Post by davep »

Dan76 wrote:1- Once something starts moving in space it does not stop unless it hits something, therefore if this theory were true then we would be shooting off into space
The "Big Bang" wasn't an explosion and it wasn't an explosion into space.
Dan76 wrote:2- There couldnt of been an explosion as there is no oxegyn in space
See above.
Dan76 wrote:3- gases could not create planets or anything
Which gasses and why not?
Dan76 wrote:4- where would the gases come from
You might want to do some reading up on Big Bang theory.
Dan76 wrote:5- they cant be just there
"They" being what? And "there" being what?
Dan76 wrote:6- which also proves that evolution doesn't hold true
It proves no such thing. Also, you might want to consider the fact that this is the astrophysics forum and the theory of evolution through natural selection (which I assume is what you mean when you say "evolution") generally doesn't fall under the topic of astrophysics.

Moreover, you might want to consider fleshing out your argument rather than simply asserting a bunch of stuff.
GordonCopestake
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:33 am
Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme, UK
Contact:

Post by GordonCopestake »

I'm impressed you even bothered answering Dave. Good post
davep
Posts: 2814
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 11:07 am
Location: South Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: big bang theory made by idiots?

Post by davep »

davep wrote:You might want to do some reading up on Big Bang theory.
I forgot to mention: The Big Bang – Common Misconceptions might be an excellent place to start.
joe
Site Admin
Posts: 4383
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:24 am
Location: Greenwich, London
Contact:

Post by joe »

GordonCopestake wrote:I'm impressed you even bothered answering Dave.
It's often hard to tell whether someone is just fooling around and having a laugh or is genuinely interested in discussing something of which they have little knowledge but strong opinions. The first step to finding out whether Dan76 is of the latter would be if he replied. :roll:


White type on a black background - don't you just love it? I feel like I'm looking through venetian blinds after that :wink:
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
davep
Posts: 2814
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 11:07 am
Location: South Lincolnshire
Contact:

Post by davep »

joe wrote:
White type on a black background - don't you just love it? :wink:
But, but, but.... it says "this page is about space stuff"...

Well, it would if he had a background image of white dots too. ;)
joe
Site Admin
Posts: 4383
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:24 am
Location: Greenwich, London
Contact:

Post by joe »

davep wrote:But, but, but.... it says "this page is about space stuff"...
:lol: A casual tour through many astro-websites revals that a lot of people think that 'cos it's space related it must be dark! Maybe they're right and it's just me. When "learning" design at college I learned that black type on a yellow background is the easiest to read. Not very "astro" is it? :D
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
davep
Posts: 2814
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 11:07 am
Location: South Lincolnshire
Contact:

Post by davep »

joe wrote::lol: A casual tour through many astro-websites revals that a lot of people think that 'cos it's space related it must be dark! Maybe they're right and it's just me.
Right or wrong, I'll side with you on this one.
RL Astro
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: big bang theory made by idiots?

Post by RL Astro »

Dan76 wrote:The theory of the big bang makes no sense for a number of reasons.

1- Once something starts moving in space it does not stop unless it hits something, therefore if this theory were true then we would be shooting off into space

2- There couldnt of been an explosion as there is no oxegyn in space

3- gases could not create planets or anything

4- where would the gases come from

5- they cant be just there

6- which also proves that evolution doesn't hold true
Nothing gets past you does it. You see the flaw in every theory :roll:
Paul S
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:24 am
Location: 44.1N & 4.5E
Contact:

Post by Paul S »

joe wrote:When "learning" design at college I learned that black type on a yellow background is the easiest to read
Must have been between 1978 and 1982 :lol:
joe
Site Admin
Posts: 4383
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:24 am
Location: Greenwich, London
Contact:

Post by joe »

Paul S wrote:Must have been between 1978 and 1982 :lol:
How d'you know? :shock:
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
Paul S
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:24 am
Location: 44.1N & 4.5E
Contact:

Post by Paul S »

It was only then that design students wandered around campus looking like wasps with their Buzzcocks/XTC mohair jumpers :lol:

I dare say that today's lecturers are telling students that chocolatey brown on pale lime green is the most legible :wink:
joe
Site Admin
Posts: 4383
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:24 am
Location: Greenwich, London
Contact:

Post by joe »

Oh, I see. :lol: No in my case it was because the AA used those colours for traffic signs, being the easiest for blurry eyed drivers to read.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
Paul S
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:24 am
Location: 44.1N & 4.5E
Contact:

Post by Paul S »

I think you're right; black on yellow is very legible. Hence car registration plates in many countries.

I recently had a huge (professional) debate on this with some signage experts whilst we were working on an airport. Black on yellow is very trad in that environment, but there's no real reason for it. Especially as transmitted light is very different from reflected light.

According to this, black on pink is the top of the league when it comes to printed paper :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_legibility
Essex boy
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Post by Essex boy »

So it is just 14 posts from The Big Bang to Black on Pink .

Thats scientific advancement.
Fred

8" Mead Starfinder Dob
150mm Skywatcher Evostar
Post Reply