Society for Popular Astronomy
https://popastro.com/forum/

New "fluid" theory for dark matter and dark energy
https://popastro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20959
Page 1 of 1

Author:  brian livesey [ Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:15 pm ]
Post subject:  New "fluid" theory for dark matter and dark energy

Modern astrophysics tells us that all of the tangible ( baryonic ) matter in the Universe makes up only 5 per cent of it. The remaining 95 per cent say the theorists, consists of dark matter and dark energy. Astronomers infer their existence by the gravitational effect they have on the miniscule 5 per cent of matter. Direct detection of dark matter and dark energy still eludes scientists.
A new theory, emanating from Oxford University, says that dark matter and dark energy may constitute a "fluid" with negative mass. If we could push this negative fluid, it would accelerate towards us.
Astronomer Jamie Farnes at Oxford said: "We now think that both dark matter and dark energy can be unified into a single fluid which possesses a type of 'negative gravity', repelling all other material around them." The new theory seems to prove a prediction made by Albert Einstein over a century ago in his general theory of relativity, known as the cosmological constant. Previous attempts to combine dark matter and dark energy have turned out to be "incredibly challenging" said Dr. Farnes. Tests to prove the new theory will be carried out with a radio telescope.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/