It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:33 pm

Post subject: Super Earth: Kepler 452b
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:51 am 

We pedestrian sky-watchers know it as the "goldilock's zone", the habitable orbital corridor around a star that's neither too hot, nor too cold, to sustain planetary life. To the experts, it's the "abiogenesis" zone.
Exoplanet Kepler 452b was discovered in 2015 and lies in the middle of an abiogenesis zone. The super-Earth has emerged as the best candidate so far to possibly support extraterrestrial life.
Would it not be pure anthropocentrism to think that, of the trillions of exoplanets that exist in the known universe, our Earth is the only planet to have come alive?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:00 am 

BrianL
From what I gather going to that exo-planet of yours sounds a better bet than going Mars -. Should EM change his plans ?
Best of luck from Cliff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:55 am 

BrianL
I've given your topic some more thought.
I'm sure not everyone will agree with me, but here goes !
I'm a fan of James Lovelock of Gaia fame. Although I don't agree with everything he says, but one of his ideas I like, (no doubt thought by others as well !) is that life on Earth arose by chance, because Earth has existed a long time made up of suitable materials - so we eventually life came into being.
Even I now accept there seem to be countless planets throughout our Universe. So there is a strong possibility of life of some sort or another elsewhere.
However, is there really any sense in humans venturing into space ?
Astronomers/Cosmologists (professionals in particular) seem to think human's destiny is to explore space, know all about & "conquer" the universe.
However, there is an old saying "Curiosity killed the Cat.
According to my own "guestimate" there are only 13,000 star gazers in the whole of the UK. I suspect most of our other millions of UK citizens are more interested in I-phones & social media nonsense than conquering space.
Best of luck from Cliff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:21 pm 

Cliff wrote:
BrianL
I've given your topic some more thought.
I'm sure not everyone will agree with me, but here goes !
I'm a fan of James Lovelock of Gaia fame. Although I don't agree with everything he says, but one of his ideas I like, (no doubt thought by others as well !) is that life on Earth arose by chance, because Earth has existed a long time made up of suitable materials - so we eventually life came into being.
Even I now accept there seem to be countless planets throughout our Universe. So there is a strong possibility of life of some sort or another elsewhere.
However, is there really any sense in humans venturing into space ?
Astronomers/Cosmologists (professionals in particular) seem to think human's destiny is to explore space, know all about & "conquer" the universe.
However, there is an old saying "Curiosity killed the Cat.
According to my own "guestimate" there are only 13,000 star gazers in the whole of the UK. I suspect most of our other millions of UK citizens are more interested in I-phones & social media nonsense than conquering space.
Best of luck from Cliff

Well if we don't 1. We will stagnate eventually and 2. RUN out of SPACE on this planet

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:51 am 

Much of current space activity is promoted for politico-military reasons and to enrich corporations, as witness the recent space launch to advertise the Tesla electric car. As for space tourism, many people are unaware of the vast amount of labour and resources required to reach that level of entertainment.
Our priority at this point in time should surely be to clean up our still beautiful world. By applying modern science and technology in a rational way, we can create a virtual earthly paradise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:41 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Unfortunately we seem even unable to tidy up our small local areas, let alone the planet. On my daily strolls along local suburban streets and rural pathways and especially through and round the local park & football pitch where I often take a spotting-scope to observe the crepuscular sky, I habitually pick up a cans and bottles that have been discarded on the grass, often still containing part of the original contents. It not unusual for there being more that I can carry in one go and put in the bin. And the next day, another load appears! Rubbish bins here now only seem to be in the parks and at bus stops, so any paths and roads not served by buses are devoid of them. Often those in the park are full and overflowing. Who wants to stand in a pile off rubbish to enjoy a sunset or sunrise or search for a comet or thin crescent Moon!
The surface of the Moon, Mars, Venus and even some comets and asteroids are scarred with the wreckage of mankind's endeavours. And of course the Earth is surrounded by the junkyard of dead and broken spacecraft, like a huge car-breakers yard. Regards maf.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:28 pm 

Skyhawk - On the other hand, if we do. Will everyone go - or just a select few ?
Unless a very significant proportion of the Earth's population goes, there will still be problems for those who have stay ? ie possibly 99.9999.........................% of us.
Surely it would be better for everyone to enjoy themselves for a while, than most slaving away just to help save a few escapers get to their hopeful exo-planet paradise.
Apparently you can rule out Mars. - We have almost finished Terror Forming Earth (as Mike just seems to confirm). But no one ever terraformed a planet (a science fiction con, sorry invention).
Best of luck from Cliff (enjoying every stagnating moment).