It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:35 am

Post subject: Exo - Earths?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:13 am 

Here's a further thought following, or rather departing from, the thread about "Our doughnut Moon". These exoplanet observers - as well as developing techniques for detecting oxygen/ozone, water, methane and CO2 as possible signs of life on candidate planets in the so called Goldilocks zone, perhaps they should also look for the signature of a disproportionally large satellite/primary planetary system. What has that got to do with planetary life? Dunno but it works in the only place we know about life (as we know it, Bones).
Bob
Maybe this should be under Space Exploration, or.........astrology?
:wink:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Exo - Earths?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:39 am 

After a billion years or so of sloshing about in Earth's oceans, just two out of many billions of primitive cells fused to create the cell ( with its nucleus and surrounding mitochondria ) that we are acquainted with.
The cell then divided exponentially to give us a planet teeming with "wonderous forms most varied and beautiful" - Charles Darwin.
Some would say that the chance of this occuring on an exoplanet is virtually impossible, but is it?
If we accept that there are more stars than there are grains of sand on every beach, and that most stars have retinues of planets, the possibility of extraterrestrial life doesn't seem so unlikely.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:58 am 

However you look at it, it seems far more probable than not Brian. Going back to the Earth-Moon exoplanet thing, after I made my comments I had a trawl of the internet and found that my thoughts had been seriously pre-empted some years ago (doh!) by some bright young things who made the point that a relatively massive moon might well exert some spin stabilisation on its larger companion, which supposedly makes things more congenial to the development of life - mmm. Anyway if they find a double planet in the right zone around a friendly star I would carry out a full Yorkshire probability exercise re: the chances of finding the signature of life there within 10 years (i.e. I'll put a bet on at the bookies). subzeroBob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:32 pm 

Bob & BrianL
My Universe is infinitely huge, containing an infinite number of stars and probably an infinite No. of exo-planets, so there may be life (ie some sort of living creatures) beyond earth.
On the other hand I think it possible there may be no life anywhere else excepting earth.
Of course we'll possibly never know that for sure
Unlike some, I do not think it is humans' destiny to find out everything about the universe.
I doubt humans will survive long enough to do that anyway, even if they might be mentally capable of doing it, and not even with the assistance of AI.
Cliffffffffffffffff...........

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:17 pm 

A stabilising satellite might not be a prerequisite for advanced life on an exoplanet. Nature is full of surprises and there might be a number of alternative scenarios that create conditions that are stable enough for life to emerge.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:08 pm 

Bob & BrianL
And we might be lucky & discover life next door (which might be a very very long way away, or surprisingly relatively close by?).
However, just as my "simpleton" idea about my universe may be miles out (or kilometres, if we don't get Brexit). I don't like "conventional" cosmology very much.
Oh! it just occurs to me is life elsewhere actually cosmology?
If life exists on let's say a satellite of Saturn - it has nothing to do with cosmology.
But if life is found on exo-planet No. 99999991 it'll be cosmology (?).
Best wishes from Cliff