It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:29 am

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:56 pm 

The workshop Foundational Aspects of Cosmology will take place from the 16th to the 18th of February 2011 in Hamburg, Germany.

Quote:
This Workshop is meant as an occasion to gather together several scientists who are interested in the foundational and mathematical aspects of cosmology. The goal is to give them the chance to present and to discuss all their latest results.

You can browse the abstracts of the presentations at the link below:

http://www.foundationalcosmology.com/?programme

Although I don't fully understand any of it, it's interesting to see the direction they're taking.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:51 pm 

Dear David
Thanks for providing the pointer to the "Foundational Cosmology Meeting" gen.
To be honest reading quickly through the meetings various lecture\discussion abstracts left me feeling cold, inadequate and that I'm possibly "an astronomical luddite".
But then on second thoughts I feel I deserve a bit more credit than that.
I can accept that Newton was a genious but he also had a dark side - which it seems was sometimes very very dark. Einstein was another.
Of course to be fair on Newton and Einstein most of us probably have a darker side of one sort or another.
There may have been a few more genious(es) since them but I'm not inclined to think that every Tom, Dick and Cosmologist who postulates a theory\hypothesis is in the Newton-Einstein class.
Though possibly wrongly (?),I do like to think I'm genuinely simpathetic to science (in general) I am inclined to think that some scientists might get carried away with the importance of what they do - though when I think about the relative importance (or lack of importance) of soccer and other aapects of modern life, I do have some simpathy with cosmologists.
On the other hand I don't feel duty bound to accept what cosmologists tell us on face value. I don't think I'm totally unreasonable in feeling that it's up to cosmologists to explain in fairly straight forward ways that their ideas are right. To some extent I think cosmologists are like politicians who are rarely prepared to admit they might be wrong.
I feel no shame in admitting I didn't satisfactorily understand any of the cosmology meeting abstracts at all.
I'm happy enough doing the aspects of "amateur" astronomy that particularly interest me.
Best wishes from Cliff
PS my apologies for not mentioning JCMaxwell and perhaps a few others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:35 am 

Cliff wrote:
On the other hand I don't feel duty bound to accept what cosmologists tell us on face value. I don't think I'm totally unreasonable in feeling that it's up to cosmologists to explain in fairly straight forward ways that their ideas are right. To some extent I think cosmologists are like politicians who are rarely prepared to admit they might be wrong.
I feel no shame in admitting I didn't satisfactorily understand any of the cosmology meeting abstracts at all.

Dear Cliff,

I admit that I didn't understand any of the abstracts either. I suspect that a cosmologist would need to adopt a zealous approach to their work to be able to sustain them through the arduous study, calculation and debate required to support their particular theory. One thing is for sure - not all of the theories being proposed can be correct. It's a debate I happy to watch from the outside, for now, and I expect to be watching it for some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:51 pm 

Dear David
I wonder how much of this presumably academic oriented workshop\conflab will get broadly reported. You suggest not all the various different theories apparently being discussed cannot be right.
Your suggestion is interesting. My concern is not so much that not all the theories will be right, will any of them be right (or will they all be wrong ???
Best wishes from Cliff