It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:43 am

Post subject: A New Big Bang Theory
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:40 pm 

I recently thought of a new Big Bang Theory :idea: It goes like this. There was the start of the universe Big Bang. But the universe was empty other than a few early stars and scattered dust and gas. There was no anti-matter But then our universe collided with another one. I put this as there could be a sea of universes like there are galaxies. This gave us matter and anti-matter then it collects with the current Big Bang Theory. So basically the universe might look younger than it actually is. As I read that astronomers have found stars that may be older than the universe itself. If that is true I think this theory could work. So what does everybody else think. :?:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:26 am 

Cosmology is highly technical, using complex mathematics; without the maths we can only play guessing games.
Last night's HORIZON dark matter/dark energy programme was a bit of a bore, they could have said it all in fifteen minutes.
The Beeb seems to think that background music is essential to every science documentary, and the graphics were the usual mix of esoteric, blurry, images and convoluting smoke trails.
The programme began with a couple of major blunders. Firstly, we were told that the universe came out of "nothing". Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to have said that the universe we know came out of unknown preconditions? Every change involves a subject and an object.
Secondly, the big-bang explosion was shown as an explosion occuring within an already existing void, with the explosion spreading out to fill the void. It seems difficult to image any graphic that could portray the actual event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:35 pm 

Dear Brian
To be honest I quite enjoyed the BBC TV Horizon Cosmology programme but perhps for the wrong reasons.
Ironically if I recall correctly one of the expert cosmologists was someone I often think about and sometimes refer to,who once gave a lecture and referred to an image of NGC 253 as M31.
I'm afraid my opinion of cosmologists is very jaundiced, I tend to think that these days they rely too much on computer models - its not like the old days when at least some astronomers got stuck in sitting long hours in big telescope cages taking astro-photos of the Deep Sky.
Of course there is the other side of the coin whereby it is also said that the "lady" computers did all the real donkey work eg Henrietta Leavitt & Annie Jump Cannon - whilst the male supposed astronomers got all the glory.
Best wishes from Cliff