Green Laser Pointers

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

orion f6.3

Post by orion f6.3 »

Its also down to cost. I have one cheap and one higher quality hense more expensive. No matter what batteries I use, in cold weather the cheaper one becomes a faint line after a short while, the other is at full power! Even when used as a guide and full exposed for hours at a time! Orion
Deep and Dark.

Orion Optics 250mm f 6.3 Hi-Lux 1/4PV DOB
EQ6 GOTO c/w 250mm rings
Skywatcher Equinox ED 66 PRO
Star Raker Bino Mount
Nikon 8x32 SE
VIXEN LV Eyepieces 4mm 5mm 6mm 7mm 9mm 10mm 12mm 15mm 20mm 25mm
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

The red dot finder on my Celestron 4SE is so awkward and fiddly I have just ordered a laser pointer which will bolt onto the red dot mount. It can´t be any less useful, and will certainly look SOOOOO cool.
Coronado PST with SME-40 double stack H@ filter
petevasey

Post by petevasey »

As far as the accuracy of the end result is concerned, there's little or no difference between a red dot finder and a laser pointer for aligning a telescope.

BUT there are times when a crick in the neck is guaranteed when using a red dot finder, whereas a laser pointer (held switched on by a suitable arrangement) doesn't require you to get up close to the telescope. And you're not likely to leave it switched on by accident when you pack up!

On the other hand, they are banned at star parties, so you'll always need a backup finder ;-)

Cheers, Peter.
orion f6.3

Post by orion f6.3 »

not banned at our star partys even used by our speaker to show newcommers where things are
Deep and Dark.

Orion Optics 250mm f 6.3 Hi-Lux 1/4PV DOB
EQ6 GOTO c/w 250mm rings
Skywatcher Equinox ED 66 PRO
Star Raker Bino Mount
Nikon 8x32 SE
VIXEN LV Eyepieces 4mm 5mm 6mm 7mm 9mm 10mm 12mm 15mm 20mm 25mm
petevasey

Post by petevasey »

orion f6.3 wrote:not banned at our star partys even used by our speaker to show newcomers where things are
Perhaps I should have said 'banned at many star parties' ?

Certainly banned at Kelling Heath :twisted:

Cheers, Peter.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

martinss wrote:Hi All,

As some of these pointers don't work in the cold, it might be worth wrapping a fabric hand warmer round it...I left a post about how I used one with my camera here:
http://www.etech.com/electronics-laser- ... c1202_1267

It really did work a treat and might be worth a bahs on those forthcoming cold nights out!!!

Don't look down!

Martin
it is extremely useful at night - for pointing out astronomical features in the sky.
Last edited by Shirley on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR2 PC-6400
EVGA Geforce GTX 460 768Mb DDR5 SoC
Perfect Card for Playing on - Ultra at 1920x1080
danielpower

Post by danielpower »

There are a plenty of astronomy 400mw laser pointers on Amazon.com
Last edited by danielpower on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Which are the laser-pointers that won't limp in the cold?
brian
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

A 400mW laser pointer is over-kill. The beam is so bright at night that it overwhelms the target object.
I prefer a 5mW pointer, as it doesn't detract from the target. The problem with mine is that they are temperature-sensitive and don't work in frosty conditions.
brian
riquel2me

Post by riquel2me »

Where did you buy the laser pointer?
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

I use a 50 mW laser pointer to align my scopes, clamped in a purpose designed adjustable mount. I hold the button down with a specially carved, high tech clothes peg, and find lithium batteries keep it shining brightly for ages.

In winter I warm the business end with the wife´s hairdryer.

I also have a 300 mW GLP, but that is overkill for astronomical use - I carry it - especially at night - in case a Moroccan tries to mug me!!!
Last edited by Eclipse on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coronado PST with SME-40 double stack H@ filter
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

A camera shutter cable makes an ideal on/off switch for a laser-pen. I mounted my laser-pen inside an aluminium tube about the same length as the laser pen.
Three screws at each end of the tube hold the laser-pen in place for adjustment. I drilled and threaded a small hole in the tube, directly above the on/off button on the laser-pen and screwed in the camera shutter cable.
The whole assembly was then mounted on the finder-mounting. It works like a charm. :D
brian
damonlove

How about the buring laser pointer?

Post by damonlove »

How about the buring laser pointer? :D I found a video from youtube.I think it is so interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YqVEi_5 ... r_embedded
dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

I have a REAL laser. Not a laser diode laser a REAL laser.
It's a metal box about 4 feet long Inside this box is a long glass spiral tube and other gubbins. This box is connected to another box by a flexible conduit. This box has the mains connection, key switch and covered on off switch.

I have no idea how powerful it is. it's a red laser so no use at all for star tours :) it's sheer size and weight wouldn't help much either. :)

I obtained this laser a few years back as it was being thrown out by it's previous owner. It was used for making holograms apparently. I was going to flog it on e-Bay, but apparently you have to have a licence to sell this sort of kit.

It puts out a really nice beam. It doesn't burn when I put my hand in the beam. It doesn't do anything fancy like popping balloons or lighting matches, but it is a REAL laser, just like you see on James Bond :)

It sits in my radio shack doing not a lot. I do fire it up occasionally just for fun.
Anyone have any practical ideas of uses, apart from making holograms that is? :)
I once came last in an astronomy competition.
I was awarded a constellation prize

Skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5
Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak
Celestron C4-R CG-4 mount
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Channel 11 T.V. Now.
'Nothing to Declare'.
The fine for bringing high powered laser pointers into Australia is stated as up to 110,000 Australian Dollars.
It shows them being confiscated but I did not see what the fine was.

regards, David

Two or three men were fined 5,000 dollars plus 3,000 dollars costs each after prosecution.
The other man was fined 4,600 dollars.
This was for various prohibited items including the high powered laser pointers.