New member wanting to buy a telescope.

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

Alan Miller

Post by Alan Miller »

Thanks to all for the sound advice, I can understand what Steve is saying about getting three scopes, Yes hes a retailer but seems hes a well respected guy who gives good advice.
I initially thought I cant afford three but it is amazing these days what you can buy for £500-£ 600.
From what you all have said I think initially I would go for a" light bucket" and then an imaging refractor, and leave the Grab and go on the back burner for a while.

Three weks ago I went on holliday with the intention of looking for a scope when we got back ,guess where we went ........Devon , and now I find Steves shop is in Exeter !!! AAARRGGH !! I was only a few miles away .

I will be looking to buy something in the next month or so and cant wait for the winter .

I have thought of another question, how would I fit a Canon 30D (8 megapix) to a scope or would an old film camera give better quality ?
I have an old Canon AE1 and a Bronica 645 medium format would they be any good or is the 30D the way to go ?

Thanks , Alan.
dazcaz

Post by dazcaz »

Alan Miller wrote: I have thought of another question, how would I fit a Canon 30D (8 megapix) to a scope or would an old film camera give better quality ?
I have an old Canon AE1 and a Bronica 645 medium format would they be any good or is the 30D the way to go ?

Thanks , Alan.
Ooh it's back to the film digital debate :)
Digital is easier as you get to see the results immediately, so you can alter setting etc.
Film is more fun :) Trouble with film if you get reciprocity law failure, where exposures start to go really weird as exposure times get longer.
Stick with digi... It's sooo much easier.

As for the Bronny... I have an ETRs, and as yet haven't found a way to mount it to the 'scope... I have been told that it's not worth doing though, something about not filling the frame.
Your AE1 will connect to a 'scope via a T adapter. AFIK all Skywatcher light buckets come with a T thread fitted so you just have to screw your adapter ring onto it. I mount my Nikons to my Explorer 200 this way.

Darren
I once came last in an astronomy competition.
I was awarded a constellation prize

Skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5
Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak
Celestron C4-R CG-4 mount
goodtime

Post by goodtime »

dazcaz wrote:
Alan Miller wrote: I have thought of another question, how would I fit a Canon 30D (8 megapix) to a scope or would an old film camera give better quality ?

Thanks , Alan.
Ooh it's back to the film digital debate :)
Since digital has now achieved the same resolution as film is there any question? The 30M pixel Cannon is close to 200 lines per mm, better than most amateurs are going achieve with film...
dazcaz wrote: As for the Bronny... I have an ETRs, and as yet haven't found a way to mount it to the 'scope... I have been told that it's not worth doing though, something about not filling the frame.
You could still piggy-back it. If you had a few lenses, it would be great for wide field subjects, DSOs, etc. Though I would put it in a display case and tell the grandkids about the 'film' cameras that were used in the good old days.

Also, balancing it may be a problem.
Andrew
Eyes, binoculars, CubePro, AT72ED, EOS 20Da, DSI II Pro,

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
First Light Optics

Post by First Light Optics »

Alan Miller wrote: ... how would I fit a Canon 30D (8 megapix) to a scope ...
Depends on the type and model of scope. You will certainly need a T-Ring and possibly a 1.25" or 2" camera adapter and/or a focus extender. Nothing expensive.
something about not filling the frame.
There aren't many scopes that offer a wide enough circle of acceptable sharpness and illumination to cover the Bronica's 6x4.5 film format. The focuser also must be larger/stronger to carry the camera. Something like the William Optics flt 110 would be good. Even so, I agree with the others, better that you use the D30.

HTH,

Steve

PS: I wouldn't trust the AE1. It's probably on its last legs. I bet the shutter 'coughs' when it is fired (used to work in a camera shop :oops: ).
Alan Miller

Post by Alan Miller »

Thanks again folks, what a great knowledge base this forum has there will always be someone who will know the answer to almost any question.

My day job is a photographer and I am into digital and I love it, the moment I could print a sharp 10x8 I changed immediately from film and I was hoping that it would be good enough for imaging the stars .
The old digital / film debate is now just that ....old.... definately for terrestrial commercial and social photography but `i was n't sure about astronomical photography. I got the answer I wanted to see .
Well I think you have all got me to a point where Im ready to take the plunge .
I now have only three weeks to wait 'till the funds are available and even at 50 yrs of age the excitement feels the same as when I saved up my pocket money for my first sscope when I was 12 .
Its gonna be a long three weeks !!