Darkstar Dobsonian

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

Unclevodka

Darkstar Dobsonian

Post by Unclevodka »

I have the option on a Darkstar dobsonian (10") for 225 GBP. I can't find much information on this make on the internet - I don't think it is made any more. Anyone got any ideas as to whether this is a good make or not?
Thought it was time to move on from my 127mm newtonian.
LeoLion

Post by LeoLion »

I have a 10" f6.4 Dark Star Dob which I am well happy with . A little heavy but manageable. I intend to keep it !
I have a Variable star mate who has the 8" version and he is happy too. Mine has a Jon Owen mirror (made in Halifax ) and was brought back to Halifax from where the dob was manufactured in Mid Wales by Dark Star.
Many others have Hinds mirrors.
Phil Harrington's book 'Star Ware ' 2nd edition P71 /72 has 6 paragraphs on Dark Star Dobs , all favourable .
A trip to http://www.garypoyner.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/scopes.html should take you to his telescope page where you will find a picture of what was his 16" Dark Star. He did a lot of variable star estimations with this scope before an observatory fire wrote it off.
I would not think you would be unhappy if it has been looked after OK.
Best wishes ,
LeoLion (Rapidly approaching his state pension ) !!!
Unclevodka

Post by Unclevodka »

Thanks for that. As far as heaviness/manageability is concerned. I would either be wheeling it 15yards out of a shed to use in front of my house, or carrying it with help from my friend 300 yards or so to a darker site - is that feasible? and is this scope appropriate for a budding deep sky enthusiast?
Michael Hezzlewood

Post by Michael Hezzlewood »

Hi Unclevodka,

A friend of mine owns a 7" Dark Star Dob and it is optically superb, infact if it wasn't for the spider diffraction, you could be fooled you were looking through an Apo, with piercing star images. The Dark Star Dobs are far better than they look and I'm sure you will have a scope that will excell on the deep sky and planets alike.

Mike