It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:13 am

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:31 pm 

Personally, the 8-inch Newtonian is my favourite instrument, although, ironically, it doesn't get much use due to its weight when combined with a hernia. An aluminium tube in place of the steel one would make a big difference.
The PST is the second favourite 'scope, especially when double-stacked with a Lunt etalon. Twinned with this 'scope is the Stage 1 modded PST with its 70mm/f.10 donor refractor, giving more detailed closeups of prominences .
The third favourite is the Skymax 90. Despite its diminutive size, the little Max-Cass gives impressive views of the Moon with the binoviewer attached.
Fourth favourite is the CELESTRON 104mm/f.5 refractor, giving nice wide-field views of the night sky.
Finally, there's a medley of small refractors collected over the years, ranging from 40mm aperture to 70mm. Then there's the binocular collection ... :roll: .

Last edited by brian livesey on Sat May 04, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:55 pm 

All the ones I have or I would have different ones :)

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:13 pm 

If you were on "Desert Island Discs" and you could only take one 'scope to the island, which one would it be?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:25 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
I guess that all the modern goto, computer-driven telescopes would be useless due to lack of electricity. Any mirror telescope which might need re-aluminizing would be eventually of little use. Ideally a good, solid, armoured and waterproof binocular and a tripod. It would have independent eye focusing so in the event of some disaster to one side, one could use the remaining side, as a monocular. And instead of a book or bible, a star atlas. Regards mat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:54 pm 

If I were on a desert island I would want the brightest laser pen I could get my hands on in order to signal any boats or planes within 200 miles :lol:

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:32 pm 

Dear Al(L)
Unfortunately not being physically very fit now, the only star-gazing I do now is confined to the Sun. For that I use a 88mm refractor (originally acquired for Deep Sky observing), for White Light observing & imaging and Coronado 40mm PST and 60mm Coronado Solar Max for Hydrogen Alpha. I do nearly all my observing\imaging using my refractor (with Herschel Wedge) or SolarMax through our west facing back bedroom window with my scope set up on a basic decent photographic tripod. I suppose if a really bright comet happened to show up in the evening preferably in the North-East to South sector of sky, I might be tempted to try to observe it. But I'm now confronted with severe light pollution problems in most other parts of sky.
So my favourite scope is arguably the 60mm Ha SolarMax or the 88mm refractor depending just on what the Sun is up to(o).
Best of luck from Cliff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:59 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Humm! I idea of using the brightest laser you, Brian, could find to signal to a passing plane may be a bit negative in result...the pilot flying overhead is blinded by the laser, disorientated, he crashes the plane into the island. If the plane is large and the island tiny, the island is destroyed and you with it! I always look for the worst case scenario!!! This posting does have an astronomical theme! maf.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:33 pm 

Dear Mike, yes that is in keeping with the sort of "luck" I enjoy I guess. Maybe as well as a laser I should insist on a nuclear bunker for my desert island :lol:

regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:21 pm 

A Newtonian telescope.

I would use the diagonal to shine the Sun on any passing ships etc.
The main mirror to start my fire.

A Swiss penknife would be useful.
An accurate watch to get my accurate position, at least to 100 miles accuracy.

Regards,
David