It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:40 am

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:39 pm 

The good and the bad.

Arrived today, Baader zoom MK4 eyepiece.

As is expected it works great with Baaders click lock diagonal, also with my William optics and less expensive standard Skywatcher, what it does not do like all others I have is work with an erecting diagonal because the light path is too "long" due to the use of a Prism.

There is not enough "inward travel" to allow infinity focus to anything over 500 yards is out of focus.

Having rarely used a 1.25" eyepiece the field of view is very narrow, and off putting as is the small size of the eyepiece which for users of small eyepieces in the 1.25" barrel size may appear large.

The quality is up to Baaders usual good standards, and as with all Baaders items it comes apart front and rear to allow different eyecups, digiscoping adapters, barlows, 1.25" AND 2" fittings to diagonals and much more

Is it worth £180 (Widescreen Centre) time will tell if I can get used to the 1.25" style it will make a nice carry anywhere setup leaving all the 2" eyepieces at home on trips out.

Attachment:
P1060186.JPG
P1060186.JPG [ 42.78 KiB | Viewed 1981 times ]

Attachment:
P1060185.jpg
P1060185.jpg [ 45.52 KiB | Viewed 1981 times ]

Attachments:
P1060185.jpg
P1060185.jpg [ 45.52 KiB | Viewed 1981 times ]

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

Last edited by skyhawk on Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:40 pm 

Attachment:
P1060188.jpg
P1060188.jpg [ 40.74 KiB | Viewed 1980 times ]

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:03 pm 

skyhawk wrote:
There is not enough "inward travel" to allow infinity focus to anything over 500 yards is out of focus.

Sorry I'm confused. Are you saying it will not focus at infinity, or is it that the nearest focus is about 500yds? :?

regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:11 am 

Brian wrote:
skyhawk wrote:

Sorry I'm confused. Are you saying it will not focus at infinity, or is it that the nearest focus is about 500yds? :?

regards,

Errr

it says "anything over 500 yards is out of focus."

I have not measured it it could be 375 and up or 425.76545yards ? etc cant be clearer sorry guessing 500 +

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:59 pm 

Sorry still confused :?

I read that as meaning it won't focus at infinity so is useless for astro observations? Apologies if I am being thick :)

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:17 pm 

Brian wrote:
Sorry still confused :?

I read that as meaning it won't focus at infinity so is useless for astro observations? Apologies if I am being thick :)

That IS what I said on an ERECTING 2" I have, I said it does not work with a 2" erecting diagonal, perhaps as it has a prisim not a mirror and is due to the light path being extended
Attachment:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg [ 46 KiB | Viewed 1930 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:21 pm 

The Baader zoom Mk 4 eyepiece is well liked on spotting scopes.
These spotting scopes almost always have small diameter drawtubes and prisms to keep the size and weight down for carrying by birdwatchers etc. They sometimes walk miles with them.

It may well be that the Baader eyepiece reaches an infinity position with a 1.25 inch erecting prism.

Whether or not it can focus on stars may also depend on whether the observer is short sighted or far sighted. Also whether the observer wears glasses.

2 inch eyepieces have no advantage over 1.25 inch eyepieces with short focal length eyepieces.

In fact some of the best eyepieces ever made were made, not only with 1.25 inch barrels, but also with 0.965 inch or 24.5mm barrels.

For instance Pentax orthoscopics and Zeiss orthoscopics.

2 inch barrel eyepieces are superior with long focal length and wide or extra wide fields.
I also have 3 inch barrel eyepieces for large extra wide angle long focus eyepieces.
My rich field refractor has a 3 inch drawtube.

Some eyepieces for large refractors have 4 inch and even 5 inch diameter barrels.

In addition, prism diagonals reduce the image quality, however well made they are.
I occasionally use them, but prefer a simple high quality star diagonal or mostly no diagonal at all.

The more elements an eyepiece has the more likely the central image quality will reduce.
They may be better on fast telescopes.

My best eyepiece is an original 8mm RKE 3 element, with some orthos nearly as good.
I have multi element Naglers etc. and they are great especially on undriven scopes.
Such as my 20.5 inch Newtonian.

As to GoTo telescopes. Not for me.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:13 pm 

David Frydman wrote:
The Baader zoom Mk 4 eyepiece is well liked on spotting scopes.
These spotting scopes almost always have small diameter drawtubes and prisms to keep the size and weight down for carrying by birdwatchers etc. They sometimes walk miles with them.

It may well be that the Baader eyepiece reaches an infinity position with a 1.25 inch erecting prism.

Whether or not it can focus on stars may also depend on whether the observer is short sighted or far sighted. Also whether the observer wears glasses.

2 inch eyepieces have no advantage over 1.25 inch eyepieces with short focal length eyepieces.

In fact some of the best eyepieces ever made were made, not only with 1.25 inch barrels, but also with 0.965 inch or 24.5mm barrels.

2 inch barrel eyepieces are superior with long focal length and wide or extra wide fields.
I also have 3 inch barrel eyepieces for large extra wide angle long focus eyepieces.

Some eyepieces for large refractors have 4 inch and even 5 inch diameter barrels.

In addition, prism diagonals reduce the image quality, however well made they are.
I occasionally use them, but prefer a simple high quality star diagonal or mostly no diagonal at all.

The more elements an eyepiece has the more likely the central image quality will reduce.
They may be better on fast telescopes.

My best eyepiece is an original 8mm RKE 3 element, with some orthos nearly as good.
I have multi element Naglers etc. and they are great especially on undriven scopes.
Such as my 20.5 inch Newtonian.

As to GoTo telescopes. Not for me.

Regards,
David

Point missed, I was stating that the eyepiece does not forcus on infinity with the erecting 2" diagonal nothing more, there are many reasons one may want to use an erecting diagonal NOT to do with Astronomy

"As is expected it works great with Baaders click lock diagonal, also with my William optics and less expensive standard Skywatcher, what it does not do like all others I have is work with an erecting diagonal because the light path is too "long" due to the use of a Prism."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:34 pm 

"It may well be that the Baader eyepiece reaches an infinity position with a 1.25 inch erecting prism."

1. Not what I was discussing

"Whether or not it can focus on stars may also depend on whether the observer is short sighted or far sighted. Also whether the observer wears glasses."

"2. I have just asked everyone I know and the comments about glasses made us all laugh, come on"

3. Yes they do, for me and others, NOT squinting in a small eyepiece and more comfort when viewing

"In fact some of the best eyepieces ever made were made, not only with 1.25 inch barrels, but also with 0.965 inch or 24.5mm barrels.

They may be better on fast telescopes."

Not what I was talking about

Sorry................... :)

I may be Autistic but I am not stupid :) :) :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:03 am 

You did not state in your original post that you were using a 2 inch prism erector.

Your friends may laugh, but the ability to reach infinity depends on ones eyes dioptre correction, if needed.
And also the strength of any glasses used. I.e. distance glasses or reading glasses etc.
If the optical instrument doesn't have enough travel, infinity views may not be reached for all users eyes.

Binoculars have to be specially adapted by moving the objectives to allow, especially severely myopic users, to reach infinity.

Camera viewfinders need correction dioptres for different users eyes, either inbuilt or accessory dioptres.
The viewfinders are typically set at about minus 1 dioptre.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:07 pm 

In the first post I am not sure of the focal length of the telescope.

But, say for a 1,000mm focal length scope and a 500 metre distance in focus.
I think that only 2mm of extra focus is needed to bring infinity focus.

It may actually need a bit less than 2mm.

It may be that a correction lens or glasses may provide enough shift of focus to allow the Baader Mk 4 to achieve infinity focus depending on the observer's eyes.

I have 5 different glasses computed for reading, computer screen, T.V. etc.
With the afocal Konica Minolta teleconverter I get excellent sharp stars using my computer screen glasses giving a 32 degree field, 28 degrees of which is flat field.
The teleconverter is fixed focus.

It all depends on the viewers eyes and correction lenses used to possibly achieve focus on an optical system, which may not initially seem to have the ability to reach infinity focus.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:12 pm 

Regarding your lack of interest in GoTo mountings David. Don't you think they are a boon for people in light-polluted areas?
It's annoying when we can no longer visually discern stars below mag. 3 from our observing sites - thanks to a plethora of insecurity lights and other sources of light pollution that plague us these days. I remember the days when, on clear evenings, the Milky Way was quite distinct from this suburban location.
I'd like a alt-azimuth, GoTo, mounting. Can you recommend one that isn't astronomically-priced?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:23 pm 

brian livesey wrote:
Regarding your lack of interest in GoTo mountings David. Don't you think they are a boon for people in light-polluted areas?
It's annoying when we can no longer visually discern stars below mag. 3 from our observing sites - thanks to a plethora of insecurity lights and other sources of light pollution that plague us these days. I remember the days when, on clear evenings, the Milky Way was quite distinct from this suburban location.
I'd like a alt-azimuth, GoTo, mounting. Can you recommend one that isn't astronomically-priced?

GoTo are a boon in more ways than one, there are disabled who can use nothing else. With Autism I can use And and but without goto I would rarely go out, the best scope I have is my evolution with best money ever spent GPS it means I can do Astronomy I would otherwise never do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:23 pm 

David Frydman wrote:
In the first post I am not sure of the focal length of the telescope.

But, say for a 1,000mm focal length scope and a 500 metre distance in focus.
I think that only 2mm of extra focus is needed to bring infinity focus.

It may actually need a bit less than 2mm.

It may be that a correction lens or glasses may provide enough shift of focus to allow the Baader Mk 4 to achieve infinity focus depending on the observer's eyes.

I have 5 different glasses computed for reading, computer screen, T.V. etc.
With the afocal Konica Minolta teleconverter I get excellent sharp stars using my computer screen glasses giving a 32 degree field, 28 degrees of which is flat field.
The teleconverter is fixed focus.

It all depends on the viewers eyes and correction lenses used to possibly achieve focus on an optical system, which may not initially seem to have the ability to reach infinity focus.

Regards,
David

:)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:28 pm 

I bought THIS for many reasons, (available mount only)

1. Unlike the twin fork mounts you can fit any reasonable tube, refractor, SC, Max Cas, PST, etc. I mount my ED with Daystar Ha on it and the 8" Edge HD

2. The built in battery is a BOON

3. with WiFi I control it indoors

4. With GPS it is so simple it can be used indoors, out by a disabled person with ease

Attachment:
Image1ff.jpg
Image1ff.jpg [ 97.68 KiB | Viewed 1880 times ]

Attachment:
P1060045.jpg
P1060045.jpg [ 104.88 KiB | Viewed 1880 times ]

Attachment:
Dsc_2435.jpg
Dsc_2435.jpg [ 145.38 KiB | Viewed 1880 times ]