It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:28 am

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:57 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
I was looking for a smallish, straightforward monocular that was not cheap and nasty (and not 10x25!) nor outrageously expensive, and that would slip in my jacket pocket when I am out and about, and mainly for birdwatching (although obviously useful for some general skywatching). I came across a monocular in the local "Snoopers Paradise". Black, rubber coated, with straight-through "roof-prism" and only £25 (used). However the label on it was very strange and did not seem to make a lot of sense to me. It was labeled as follows
"16x52" - It certainly was NOT 16x52, more likely 8x42
66M/8000M - ??
There is a curved scale marked from 1.5-3-6-10-12-infinity
The words "day & night"- (no other wording - looked at first sight to be a Helios make but not!)
Field 22 deg. - Certainly was NOT fov of sky in degrees..
The eyepiece rotates partially and is labelled (+ 0 -) which does make sense!
Focusing is achieved by rotating the middle section and by adjusting the eyepiece. This enables a clear focus from far to nearish.
I have come across this monocular before but the labels have always confused me. At £25 though I did buy this one and it seems reasonable and pocketable.
Perhaps someone here can clarify. regards maf

Last edited by mike a feist on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:39 pm 

Mike,
This is one of the numerous fake monoculars and binoculars, usually made in China, but sometimes maybe India.

The sellers or companies involved are in my strong opinion fraudsters.

The claims are often complete fabrication.

In Italy and France I think buyers can in principal be jailed for buying fakes.

China knows no boundaries on rip-offs, illegal copies etc.
They do not respect any copyright, intellectual property or anything.
The internet is awash with this sort of thing.

In the case of a fake Russian 6x24 binocular it appears that the people involved actually listened to me and stopped the false Russian markings and 'Made in Russia' lies.

In the quest to make money there are so many willing to lie that it baffles me why humans ever invented and embraced the internet.

I have long thought that Facebook, Twitter, fleabay, Mamazon,, etc. are just the route to the failing human race, of which there may be no trace in the future, except in our fossilised remains.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:46 am 

Thank you David. Have now investigated further and indeed this monocular, with its obvious dodgy labelling, can be found all over the Internet, especially on e-bay, and seem to come from the Far East. On that site, there are even identical fake monoculars with the word NIKON actually marked on some! I shall use the one I have as a good pointer of what to avoid when asked about buying monoculars. regards maf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:59 am 

mike a feist wrote:
I was looking for a smallish, straightforward monocular that was not cheap and nasty (and not 10x25!) nor outrageously expensive, and that would slip in my jacket pocket when I am out and about, and mainly for birdwatching (although obviously useful for some general skywatching). I came across a monocular in the local "Snoopers Paradise". Black, rubber coated, with straight-through "roof-prism" and only £25 (used). However the label on it was very strange and did not seem to make a lot of sense to me. It was labeled as follows
"16x52" - It certainly was NOT 16x52, more likely 8x42
66M/8000M - ??
There is a curved scale marked from 1.5-3-6-10-12-infinity
The words "day & night"- (no other wording - looked at first sight to be a Helios make but not!)
Field 22 deg. - Certainly was NOT fov of sky in degrees..
The eyepiece rotates partially and is labelled (+ 0 -) which does make sense!
Focusing is achieved by rotating the middle section and by adjusting the eyepiece. This enables a clear focus from far to nearish.
I have come across this monocular before but the labels have always confused me. At £25 though I did buy this one and it seems reasonable and pocketable.
Perhaps someone here can clarify. regards maf

Why have you not posted an image for people to see :)

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:07 am 

David Frydman wrote:
Mike,
This is one of the numerous fake monoculars and binoculars, usually made in China, but sometimes maybe India.

The sellers or companies involved are in my strong opinion fraudsters.

The claims are often complete fabrication.

In Italy and France I think buyers can in principal be jailed for buying fakes.

China knows no boundaries on rip-offs, illegal copies etc.
They do not respect any copyright, intellectual property or anything.
The internet is awash with this sort of thing.

In the case of a fake Russian 6x24 binocular it appears that the people involved actually listened to me and stopped the false Russian markings and 'Made in Russia' lies.

In the quest to make money there are so many willing to lie that it baffles me why humans ever invented and embraced the internet.

I have long thought that Facebook, Twitter, fleabay, Mamazon,, etc. are just the route to the failing human race, of which there may be no trace in the future, except in our fossilised remains.

Regards,
David

Perhaps they get away with it because fools buy them ?

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:03 pm 

They get away with it because they are dishonest fraudsters, and there are no penalties for their complete lack of business ethics.
Fleabay and Mamazon are party to this fraud.

If one buys medicines from a pharmacy one expects them to be what it says on the box.
They could be Chinese fakes and they could, and do harm, or even kill people.

The electrical Chinese products also burn down houses etc. etc.

I have had business dealings with China since the 1960s. They used to be very honest.
Not now.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:41 pm 

I have the HELIOS 10-25X42 "Voyager" monocular. It focuses from 20" to infinity. It's good for astronomy and because of its shortest-focus, gives highly detailed views of butterflies, etc., without disturbing them.
The monocular is threaded for attachment to a tripod on the highest mags.

Last edited by brian livesey on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:52 pm 

David Frydman wrote:
They get away with it because they are dishonest fraudsters, and there are no penalties for their complete lack of business ethics.
Fleabay and Mamazon are party to this fraud.

If one buys medicines from a pharmacy one expects them to be what it says on the box.
They could be Chinese fakes and they could, and do harm, or even kill people.

The electrical Chinese products also burn down houses etc. etc.

I have had business dealings with China since the 1960s. They used to be very honest.
Not now.

Regards,
David

Really, I call that naive as naive as people who reply to an email asking for Bank details, where as someone like me at 60 who has never fallen for a scam reports things, EVEN fakes on ebay

I can not believe that anyone blindly believes what they are told, and I am not 20 year ols and I don't get conned.

Mind you I would personally laugh (sorry) if anyone did buy one of these £8 monoc's from a shop and paid £20+, sorry :) my son and I never buy anything when out without comparing what we see with internet amazon/ebay, after all we all carry phones surely

WOW!!!! £8 INCLUDING POSTAGE what a bargain

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16X52-Dual-F ... SwDApaewRp

OR even better £7 or best offer,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16X52-Dual-F ... SwbkVaHQ8V

Last edited by skyhawk on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:04 pm 

mike a feist wrote:
Thank you David. Have now investigated further and indeed this monocular, with its obvious dodgy labelling, can be found all over the Internet, especially on e-bay, and seem to come from the Far East. On that site, there are even identical fake monoculars with the word NIKON actually marked on some! I shall use the one I have as a good pointer of what to avoid when asked about buying monoculars. regards maf

Have you reported it to trading standards, there is no point people complaining when they rarely bother to actually do anything about it, I DO, most do not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:30 am 

It was bought the minocular in a "secondhand bazaar" - everything being "sold-as seen" as old, recycled etc, otherwise I would have returned it.

However the small cost kept me and a couple of other "amateur astronomers" at the Foredown Tower amused on a grey day, researching it further and finally I spent the afternoon disassembling it to see how it was made.

Detailed research may be important when buying expensive, new, equipment, but the cost of £25 is what we might have spent on a couple of lunches out or a book that once read is given away!

Of course any more expensive instrument really needs to be checked "in the field" and buying such objects on line is fraught with problems annd complications.

One of the probems in not buying on line is the very limited local sources where one can see before one buys.

Ignoring Jessops will still exists in some towns (see the problem I reported recently will attemping to return an unsuitable item) most towns only have perhaps one High Street source.

Clock Tower Cameras in Brighton are very good but have limited stocks of scopes etc. Worthing (Goring) have the dedicated Sussex Astronomy Centre. Chichester has London Camera Exchange. There is also a shop in Lewes, H.A. Baker (Lewes) Ltd Photographic which has a very good stock of various binoculars and monoculars, mainly, I imagine aimed at naturewatcher , but good for skywatching.

The other source must be the various charity shops/ bazaars/ etc for used (and most damaged or poor condition) instruments that cannot be returned but may be so cheap that it is worth the experience!

Getting to mid-Sussex or Kent is hopeless as I do not drive, and I can only realistically visit far afield by bus as to those places mentioned in the previous paragraph.

As for why I did not post a photograph here - well, I am rather poor at this computering being entirely self-taught late in life. And as for your "after all we all carry phones surely" - I do not!

Anyway, there it is. "Buyer Beware" must of course always be the motto. regards maf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:41 pm 

Amazon, and all decent retail outlets are on line and refund no quibble under distance selling regulations

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:06 am 

SKYHAWK. I am sorry to have to say this but I find your postings really too confrontational. Enough is enough! maf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:45 am 

Hello Brian Liversey ; re your "I have the HELIOS 10-25X42 "Voyager" monocular...".
Yesterday I took the bus to Lewes and bought a Viking 8x42 monocular from Bakers. Seems very good. regards maf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:54 am 

mike a feist wrote:
SKYHAWK. I am sorry to have to say this but I find your postings really too confrontational. Enough is enough! maf

Unfortunately one of the benefits of being AUTISTIC as I am is honesty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:56 pm 

Hi Mike, glad to know that you have a monocular that's to your liking. What's the minimum focus distance with it?
What I like about the HELIOS zoom monocular is that it's duel-purpose. It's incredible the amount of sharp detail that can be seen in insects, etc, at closest focus, while giving good astro-images at longest focus.
There could have been more eye-relief for specs wearers ( specs can be kept for a full field up to X12 ), but, all-in-all, the monocular was a good buy.