It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:30 am

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:09 pm 

Hi guys!

I thought I'd pass on this link to a blog I am constructing. I intend to detail and illustrate all the steps involved in the construction of a 2.2m square dome observatory from its conception to it's complete outfitting. I am an amateur astronomer and most of the stuff I used in the making of the dome, apart from the actual construction materials was from recycled stuff and bits and pieces I managed to scrounge. A lot of the outfitting electronics and gadgetry came from cheap Asian sources and the circuitry and software was again partly home grown or borrowed from other sources.

Time, patience and a generous helping of youtube videos and forums like this one are a must if one gets stuck but thankfully one will always find the answers if one digs deep enough.

Anyways ..here it is for any of you who want to browse..The blog should grow steadily as I add more and more information and pics and of course anyone interested is welcome to drop me a line. There is a lot of ground to cover and so it might take me a while to finish uploading it all ..but after all...hey ...it took me a year and a half to finish!

Welcome to The Raven and the Owl Observatory ... a home-made little portal to the stars...smile.gif

https://ravenandowl7....wordpress.com/

Dark skies

Maurice

Attachments:
RandO_header.jpg
RandO_header.jpg [ 208.19 KiB | Viewed 1985 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:21 pm 

Hi Maurice and Welcome :D

There appears to be a problem with your link. Could you have a look at it please,

regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:33 pm 

https://ravenandowl789657933.wordpress.com

This should work.
Thanks for letting me know.

Dark skies.

Maurice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:02 am 

Hello Maurice, I don't know which is coolest, the observatory or the raven and owl logo! Seriously, well done with this beautiful project. Kind thoughts to you and your talented daughter, Bob.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 am 

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your kind words. Yes I am very fond of my logo as it has a special meaning to me, as you can imagine.

The dome has stood its ground for two years now and has already recieved a new coat of paint on the outside. I used water soluble acrylic matt this time. We'll see how it goes.

I have the climate inside controlled to maintain humidity and ventilation within reasonable limits and a little IOT linked circuit I made relays it to my mobile. A motorized webcam on the inside and a fixed one on the outside provide peace of mind in bad weather. Other than that there is no remote viewing or control of the dome itself and I must say I prefer to be there in person when viewing like a true watcher of the skies :)

Regards

Maurice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:30 pm 

I have since acquired a new domain. The link to my blog re the homemade dome observatory now reads:

Http://ravenandowl.mfalzon.co.uk

Many thanks

Maurice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:38 am 

G'day Maurice, unfortunately the web here in Australia can't find your new website, which is a shame. I admire all the hard work you put into your project. Some years ago I built a small hut for my telescopes and it was hard work, but nothing compared to your efforts. Keep in touch with your observations and activities, Maurice. Kind thoughts to you, Bob
PS, just managed to get into your new site. Just looking down the headings has got me exhausted and needing a beer mate!