It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:04 am

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:27 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Having very recently bought an adaptor/adapter to mount a binocular which does not have an integral thread to do so, I was presented with a minor problem that I had come across a long time ago and had forgotten about, ie that photographic tripods can, it seems, be RH or LH. Some tripods have the "arm" on the one side and others on the opposite. I believe some cases the can be removed and screwed in from the other side. Because with a medium or small binoculars one needs to stand close to the tripod, if the "arm" is quite long and on the wrong side, it is impossible to get to the eyepieces without being poked by the "arm" in the your chest. I have three tripods, two are fine but the third cannot be used conventional with binoculars, although if one can live with the "arm" pointing forward , one can do this but it is slightly awkward and perhaps looks a bit daft!. regards maf

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:58 pm 

Mike
Sorry I'm a bit late but only just noticed your post.
I assume you talking about a pan&tilt adaptor. If so I think I know your problem.
Assuming it is I came up with a similar problem recently. Like you I thought of unscrewing the "handle" and screwing it in the wrong way round ! and did so, but quickly decided it seemed more awkward than having it wrong handed.
I have another similar problem with my refractor which I use in the bedroom to observe the Sun. Being a small room I'm restricted where I can set up the refractor to observe through the window. I sit on the end of the bed with the scope on a photo tripod right side of me, my laptop used to capture Sun videos is on the bed on my left side. The refractor has two focussing nobs left and right but there is a smaller fine tuning focus knob but inconveniently only on the right side.
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:22 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Hello Cliff, Yes, quite often something is practically not quite right (or left) for ease of operation. Another snag, if one uses a tripod though the window, is that the triangular layout of the legs is such that to get as near to the window as possible it would be best that two of the legs are against the wall under the window. However often this means that the pan-arm hits the third leg when one tilts upwards.
(Amended by transfering one paragraph to a more approprate location. maf)
regards maf