It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:56 am

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:48 am 

I mainly use my old 80mm achromatic refractor for projecting the Sun these days, while relying on the convenience of binoculars for fumbling around in the dark. However, I cart the old thing outside to provide a bit more penetration for observing variables that are too difficult for binocs in haze and neighbour-light pollution. It's easy to overlook just what superb images these simple small, f11.4 refractors deliver. Stars are truly pinprick bright and contrasting, even on a town-lit sky; and the whole field of view is sensibly undistorted.
My old refractor revealed a new effect the other evening in the garden. My right eye appears red sensitive, while my left is not. Swapping eyepieces gave the same effect - the artificially illuminated sky looked reddish in one eye and bluish in the other. Red star colours are much more obvious in the right eye. Binocs never disclosed this of course. And it's obviously a change with increasing age (mine, not the telescope's). Must get to Specsavers in the New Year. Anyone else noticed this sort of thing?
On the subject of old things, have you noticed just how much genuine Zeiss Jena 10x50 jenoptem binocs are on ebay? I've had mine since new in 1980 and they are still the most usable all purpose binoc I own, having used them to view wildlife aircraft, (Halley's) and other comets, variables, DSOs, project the Sun etc.... If you buy these be careful to check the serial numbers, they have been copied extensively.
Kind Thoughts, Bob

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:07 am 

You might have a cataract coming on Richard. I see a yellowish tinge in my right eye, confirmed as an oncoming cataract by the optician.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:01 pm 

Same goes for you, Barry! :lol:
Aye, a trip to the optician's in January. Omnia causa fuit as we say in Yorkshire. Could 'av saved me sen some brass on red filters come to think of it.
HNY chaps, Bob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:46 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Colour sensitivity between left and right eyes can be quite extreme without caratact problems too. The brightness and richness of tint of the Moon in my dominant right eye has always been paler yellow than in my "lazy" left eye. regards maf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:53 pm 

Have you seen any mineral tints on the Moon Mike? As you know, there are subtle blues, oranges and yellows that some sensitive-eyed observers are able to make out.
For myself, the Moon always looks monochrome in a 'scope, apart from the strong coppery tint of a lunar eclipse.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:56 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
The simple aswer is "no". These tones seem quite clear in some photographs though. (Not mine!) regards maf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:26 pm 

An eye test today did indeed reveal signs of cataract a very early stage and the optician was quite surprised I had noticed any change, since there is no functional deterioration in visual acuity yet. Good call Brian. Time for prescription sunnies to block uv. Roy Orbison impressions to follow..."Blue Bayou", sorry make that Red Bayou! :) Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:54 pm 

The progress of a cataract varies from person to person. Mine has been developing for many years, but I can still see clearly with the affected eye, although the view is noticeably dimmer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:02 pm 

Eye Eye Cap'n! Where's me parrot? :wink: