It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:31 pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:03 pm 

A report of a Feb 2016 visit, posted on the Cloudy Nights Forum, well worth a look:

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articl ... cope-r3040

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:04 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Most impressive indeed: In fact too much! I guess you could not take it all in in one visit. regards maf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:07 pm 

It's a pity to see so many fine instruments languishing in museum rooms. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, museums are the cemeteries of telescopes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:25 am 

And how may telescopes are bought with the best intentions to follow dreams of the starry skies only to end up in the dark dusty corners of old drawers and attics after savouring but a very few nights of the joys and disappointments of sky-watching! regards maf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:07 pm 

How true Mike. But many of these modern instruments could be donated to schools ,colleges and universities for actual use, and not only in Japan itself. Some could be distributed internationally, with particular reference to poorer countries.
Of course, there would have to be proper scrutiny of who to donate to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:25 am 

I believe that unwanted binoculars and spotting-scopes may to the donated to the RSPB for use in other countries. I either trade them in or give then to charity shops or (if beyond real use), I disassemble them. Some which I no longer want, I take to the Foredown Tower's Viewing Gallery for use by visitors....they last a little while until rough treatment and humid conditions conditions send them to the great Instrument Heaven in the bin!
There is an interesting article concerning the future of Amateur Astronomy in "Astronomy", in that the author also mentions how many scopes seem to end of unused, mostly by beginners probably due to disappointment or unable to understand how to use them. The rest of the article goes on to investigate what clever technical wonders can be looked-forward to in the future. Initially he discussed the "greying of amateur astronomy group members". He kind of refutes this be saying that many more people are excited by "space". Personally I do not think that "space" is the same as "knowing the sky". Still "each to their own". regards maf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:39 pm 

Astronomical societies in cities seem to be the longest lasting, by virtue of having more members to draw on than small town and rural clubs.
There must surely be astro-societies in so-called Third World cities that would be glad to get their hands on those moderately-sized and large Japanese museum 'scopes to put to good use.