It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:26 am

Post subject: Celestron 71008 25x70
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:44 pm 

Has anyone used these Celestron 25x70 binoculars, I have seen on Amerzon for £69 reduced from £110 which seems very reasonable.

Harry

Harry

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:20 pm 

Give 'em a try Harry, if there's a problem you can always return them. The Milky Way is high at this time of year, so there's plenty to see in the Cygnus region with binoculars. Not to mention Casseopiea and Perseus.
I have an oldish pair of Russian 20X60's and they perform well with good colour correction.
Big binoculars need to be mounted to get the full benefit, otherwise everything jumps around. I have the option of a handheld frame with the bins on top ( for lower altitude objects ), and a rock steady binocular mirror-mount ( no stiff neck ); both homemade.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:07 pm 

. Dear Harry,
I have the Celestron 25×70 binocular, which I got maybe two years ago. It is awful, at least the one I have. A great deal of false colour and poor resolution.
They may have improved it, but I doubt it.
The Revelation 15x70 is much better. But any of these cheaper Chinese binoculars in 70 mm are often out of collimation when brand-new, and go out of collimation if you knock them or if you get them by mail order.
If you get a 15×70 in good collimation and treat it carefully it is quite good and very useful as it is lightweight.
Apparently, it is actually 63 mm aperture.
There is a reason why these are so cheap. No quality-control and prisms that move if you cough too hard.

The Quantum 15×70 in my experience is very nice but heavier. It is really best on a tripod

The Soviet 20×60 can be good, but the later Russian ones are not that great.

There are old Japanese 20×70 binoculars, such as the Viper, which are good, also made in 20×65.

If buying second hand, check for fungus and collimation. This really also applies to new binoculars.

If you can, buy from a shop so that you can test it thoroughly before purchase.
Buy the one you test, not a seemingly identical boxed binocular.

Regards, David

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:51 pm 

This is all good advice David. I wasn't aware that CELESTRON bins were so bad. Sorry Harry!
The HELIOS "Quantum" range have been getting good reviews. These are heavy and look like a military spec.
I've had the Soviet-era TENTO bins for some years, and they were secondhand when bought. They look spartan in design ( as we might expect from a country that only recently industrialised ), but the optics are good.
There is a trace of fungi now on one of the prisms, but it doesn't intrude into the centre of the field-of-view and, under the circumstances, is probably best left alone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:55 am 

Thank you all for your comments, as it happens the binos have been ordered for me before I had completed my research. They should arrive soon and I will let you know my feelings on them after they have been tested.

Harry

Harry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:23 pm 

Well, they have arrived and I used them on the first clear night. I had a good look around, viz. M13, the double cluster in Cassiopeia and the Milky way, and must report that I am very pleased with these binoculars (for the price). They gave me the best view yet of the night sky with binoculars, my comparison of late being with a pair of ex gov. Carl Zeiss 10x50s - good but not as powerful as these.

I was surprised by the negative comments about Celestron products as I have used a Celestron Newtonian for over ten years without complaint. Perhaps quality has degraded recently.

All I need now is a suitable tripod or mono-pod, any ideas?

Thanks Harry

Harry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:04 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Re Celestron. I am using a Celestron Landscout 12-36x50 Spotting scope bought recently and it is very useful although the "definition" on a more recently purchased Ostara 18-36x50 is perhaps somewhat optically better on fine detail. Of course much depends on the particular actual bino/scope you get. If you try two of the same model in the shop, one often seems better than the other, and I guess that it were stringent quality control or not comes in. These two scopes cost within £1 of each other and each at lowest power x12 and x18 have a fov of about 2.5 degrees and 2.0 degrees respectively. regards maf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:19 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Re mounting the 25x70. I have experimented by mounting various small and medium size binoculars and spotters / monoculars on monopods and found these of minimal use unless you could also rest them against a post or wall or window frame was well. I do use a 70mm spotting scope with a magnification of about x20 (this is not with the eyepiece usually supplied - this was missing from the secondhand model I bought for £15 - the eyepiece I used is a spare Celestron!). I mount this scope on a tall , solid camera tripod. However this scope has a 45 degree eyepiece, and no doubt the binocular you await has a straight- through view and viewing high-up may give you a "pain in the neck" until you chose something more suitable. regards maf